Getting testing done next week!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
I honestly don't believe that bolded statement they made. My flock can cause no disease if it has none, and it never has had contagious disease, plus it has no contact with other flocks. I don't buy started birds. I don't go to shows. I don't go to swaps/auctions. I practice biosecurity. They have a healthy management of fresh air and sunshine and good food like most backyard flocks, in contrast to monoculture commercial operations where a sick wild bird can fly into a warehouse operation and die and disease spreads like wildfire because the birds are so crammed together in an artificial environment. The intention of NPIP and some of the articles (research into who is behind those goes a long way) is to protect big agri-biz, the commercial operations. My flock does not endanger those. Their management style does. I've seen those buildings. They are most definitely not disease-proof or wild bird-proof, not the ones around here.
I don't believe it either but, I think they are noticing more people are growing their own livestock and food and that takes money out their pockets and when you mess with currency it's a real issue. Do you test your birds yourself? I still don't know if I will go full NPIP. I want them certified clean from any tests I need. I would like to start a small local hatchery someday in the future so when other places are down people can still get their chicks and I can eventually recover all the investing I've done into keeping them happy and healthy. I love my birds and taking care of them is peaceful for me. I don't like surprises either and the way laws are changing everyday to keep the currency flowing I will do whatever I need to.

I don't believe it either but, I think they are noticing more people are growing their own livestock and food and that takes money out their pockets and when you mess with currency it's a real issue. Do you test your birds yourself? I still don't know if I will go full NPIP. I want them certified clean from any tests I need. I would like to start a small local hatchery someday in the future so when other places are down people can still get their chicks and I can eventually recover all the investing I've done into keeping them happy and healthy. I love my birds and taking care of them is peaceful for me. I don't like surprises either and the way laws are changing everyday to keep the currency flowing I will do whatever I need to.

Yes, it's all about the money trail, you are correct.

No, I do not test birds. I am confident in my flocks, though, as we know, things can change on a dime since no one can see an invading germ. That is another reason testing is only good for the actual bird tested and on the actual day of testing-disease can happen at any time in between tests.

The NPIP folks who bought birds from me have never had one of mine test positive after leaving here. No symptomatic birds. Other than genetic/hormone based stuff from substandard hatchery stock like internal laying, for the most part, and arthritic joints from very old hens (7-11 years old, and we have quite a large number of those),we have had few issues with health. No contagious respiratory illness here ever. And my best friend in KY had a renowned vet who cared for her Arabian mare as well as her chickens, so he knew my birds, having handled many of them, as she had gotten quite a few from me here in GA at one time or another years ago. I've consulted him on several occasions long-distance. And I had a long, very informative conversation with the former state vet in GA a few years back about one of my birds that told me a lot of stuff that facts would probably not believe, but he was awesome (no, the one I called him about was not contagious). The current state vet here, I would not trust to test for a hangnail. The most recent NPIP customer, a repeat customer over the years, told me he completely trusted the health of my birds, but the main thing is he trusts me, personally. I would never sell any questionable birds to anyone, ever.

I'm not sure you mean by "full" NPIP. There is the basic stuff, but do you mean testing for MG/MS and other diseases? There is no official designation for different levels of NPIP that I'm aware of here in the U.S. One line of my heritage Barred Rocks came from hatching eggs sent to me by one of the NPIP testers for the state of GA, but not before he tested his new breeding rooster for every disease known to man, above and beyond the basic NPIP. Maybe that's what is meant by "full" NPIP?

Yes, it's all about the money trail, you are correct.

No, I do not test birds. I am confident in my flocks, though, as we know, things can change on a dime since no one can see an invading germ. That is another reason testing is only good for the actual bird tested and on the actual day of testing-disease can happen at any time in between tests.

The NPIP folks who bought birds from me have never had one of mine test positive after leaving here. No symptomatic birds. Other than genetic/hormone based stuff from substandard hatchery stock like internal laying, for the most part, and arthritic joints from very old hens (7-11 years old, and we have quite a large number of those),we have had few issues with health. No contagious respiratory illness here ever. And my best friend in KY had a renowned vet who cared for her Arabian mare as well as her chickens, so he knew my birds, having handled many of them, as she had gotten quite a few from me here in GA at one time or another years ago. I've consulted him on several occasions long-distance. And I had a long, very informative conversation with the former state vet in GA a few years back about one of my birds that told me a lot of stuff that facts would probably not believe, but he was awesome (no, the one I called him about was not contagious). The current state vet here, I would not trust to test for a hangnail. The most recent NPIP customer, a repeat customer over the years, told me he completely trusted the health of my birds, but the main thing is he trusts me, personally. I would never sell any questionable birds to anyone, ever.

I'm not sure you mean by "full" NPIP. There is the basic stuff, but do you mean testing for MG/MS and other diseases? There is no official designation for different levels of NPIP that I'm aware of here in the U.S. One line of my heritage Barred Rocks came from hatching eggs sent to me by one of the NPIP testers for the state of GA, but not before he tested his new breeding rooster for every disease known to man, above and beyond the basic NPIP. Maybe that's what is meant by "full" NPIP?
When I say full NPIP there is nothing less than that lol. That's just how I say it. I know there's no half or levels. I just mean going through the full process of other tests and joining the organization etc.

I don't ship eggs, chicks or adult birds. I do know that most who do are not NPIP nor do they have vet's certificates, just a simple fact. I did not encourage anyone to disregard any laws; I merely stated the truth of the NPIP program, that is cannot prevent disease or protect your flock and why I don't trust it and will never be involved in it.

I am not required by this state to be NPIP certified to have a flock of chickens. I am not required by this state to be NPIP to make private, from-the-farm sales of birds or hatching eggs. I am not required to register my flocks in any way, shape or form, either. I will never volunteer for the program because it is meaningless to me, and in my opinion, can be detrimental to my family. If they ever did make a flock registration law in GA, I would disobey it. (I believe in jury nullification, too, where citizens can stand in judgement of unjust laws). I have a right to feed my family the way I see fit, which includes raising birds for eggs and meat and controlling what goes into their feed and care, without government interference.

Now, to the nice original poster, I apologize for the tangent this got off on. I truly did want to let you know of the shortcomings of this program and for you to be aware. Sorry that someone felt the need to lecture me on my "criminal mindset". Best of luck to you with your flock.

Tavia, good luck with your testing. I have mine done the years I show, sell hatching eggs, and chicks. When I don't show, or sell, testing is not required. The testing is pretty quick. Just be sure you can catch your birds quickly. You may want to enlist the help of another person for this. I would be catching the next one, while my daughter's bird was being tested, then she would return her bird, and catch another while mine was being tested. Assembly line style. It depends on what state you live in, as to what all they test for.

Either way KikisGirls helped me out a long time ago (and we are both in Texas) and I've done the rest of the research myself. My first part and possibly only part of testing is done. More will happen when I decide how far I want to go. I appreciate you all for your input though because I'm sure this thread will lead someone in the right direction in the future. Just as with all things people have their preferences and we should allow them and ignore it as best we can if it doesn't match ours lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom