Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics

Tavia Rose

Songster
6 Years
May 24, 2017
Texas
I'm getting someone out to test my birds so I can eventually sell eggs at the FM and babies too. Is there anything special I need to know. I house my chickens and ducks together in a big 20x12x5.5 pen..with a coop in the middle. The ducks pool is in the back corner and chickens roost and all up front. It is covered with wire top and bottom with metal panels along the bottom perimeter. We will be moving all the roosters out to a bigger space on family land soon. They don't inspect that kind of thing do they? Either way, I'm excited to have it done. My dream since a kid was to own a ranch farm. And, I'm in my early 30s and taking the steps to eventually get there...on a budget.

I'm getting someone out to test my birds
I would think that if you are going to be tested,
there would be a list of regulations you have to meet to pass testing,
and that they would provide you with that list before you get tested.
You might have to ask for it,
they may assume that you know the rules if you've asked to be tested.

I would think that if you are going to be tested,
there would be a list of regulations you have to meet to pass testing,
and that they would provide you with that list before you get tested.
You might have to ask for it,
they may assume that you know the rules if you've asked to be tested.

Yeah, I've read scores of information before contacting them and nothing as far as housing goes just for testing. There are rules and regulations if you are a bigger USDA certified organization. Not much to go on for regular homesteads. Texas A&M used to come out and do it but, now it's individual people they train. I can become a tester if I go take a one day class and buy my supplies. The tester I contacted doesn't even have her supplies yet. That's why I posted this to find others' experiences.

I have no idea about Texas rules but here Ducks and Chickens have to be housed separately.
That really sucks. I've read our zoning laws and I live in a little tiny country town that really doesn't care too much. There are so many stray animals roaming the streets. The only time they care is when someone is going to cut a check lol. But, to eventually sell babies and eggs. I just want it all to be right. My birds have lived together since babies. One of the ducks and one of the chickens were inseparable for a long time. I would hate to have to divide them.

They shouldn't have any housing requirements, then... also, if you go full NPIP you might be able to pay for getting ducks tested rather than having to separate... don't know Texas rules, all I have is information from people in other states.
Cool beans, thank you very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom