Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozexpat, Dec 25, 2012.

1. OffGridMAMA

OffGridMAMA Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2012
    valley center, CA

You have seen the simple homestead Oz, but it works for us. I don't even try to explain anymore to those who can't understand why we "gave up" our other life. I will confess that I don't own a fridge either *gasp* I have a small propane freezer . We buy fresh, local and often. I make many things from scratch, a luxury I couldn't indulge when I was working sixty hours a week. We have chosen this simple life. We are healthier and happier. We appreciate life more now. Yes here in the USA it is possible :) we aren't living in a cave, we enjoy lots of technology that makes things easier, but our priority is our family, not our stuff. It wasn't always what we thought we'd do, I was on fast track at a major law firm. I had a big house and live in nanny. I was "successful". But only on paper. Less (for me) has certainly given me more. ....and then came the chickens :) heehee

2 people like this.
  2. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Your simple homestead is awesome OGM. You have a comfortable house, a nice piece of land. A horse, a few cows, chickens and a great family. Your kids will grow up rich in the important things.

3. tajuano

tajuano Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2013
    Whatcom County, WA
    Good for you, it is not always easy to give up material things, especially if its success, but our spiritual and mental richness is much more important. It takes a strong person to make those kind of changes.

4. tajuano

tajuano Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2013
    Whatcom County, WA
    That just too funny.

5. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

three pips and I have to work in the morning.

i wish I had some sleeping pills

6. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

one pipped the wrong end and died overnight

one just hatched a swedish flower hen

others pipping.

its going to be a spread out hatch due to one of the bators being unplugged that day.

its just day 20

7. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. chicknfun

chicknfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Bunnell, FL

1 person likes this.
  9. chicknfun

chicknfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Bunnell, FL

2 people like this.
  10. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Sometimes a forced down scaling of income can be very educational. The trick is to maintain the simple life when the income is restored.

I have two credit cards. Each one is one of those that you can customize the image on the card. Each has a picture of my kids. I have to look at them before I use them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by