Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

I am anxious to see the results of your hatch! This is a very cool adventure and sounds like you will be making a huge impact on the local egg production! It is always neat to learn about different ways of life and how people adapt, but I can not imaging being able to experience it as you have!!! This is very neat thank you for sharing it with us!

Sally Sunshine has a quote of Mark Twain 's on her profile that states you will regret the thongs you haven't done more than the things you have when you look back twenty years. I embrace that philosophy.

When it comes to experiencing other cultures, we embrace them. We use local hotels and restaurants over Four Seasons and McDonalds (though we had McD 's in Dumaguete for breakfast lol). When we travel on vacation we do not lie on the beach and drink cocktails but ask a local where they go for fun. It works out cheaper, more educational and loads more fun.

We have our issues. Life is never perfect but the school of hard knocks is a great educator. We just try to brush off failures and move on.

Last edited:
The coop roof is 75% complete but we ran out if thatching. Another 500 pieces will be delivered at dawn. The delivery tricycle does not have registration. The guys are harvesting bamboo for the flooring. It will be split into slats then skinned. It will make a nice cool floor elevated about 3 feet off the ground. The area under it will be fenced as a shaded shelter as part of the run.

All the lumber comes from culled coconut trees. The bamboo is from the creek next door. We do not have nipa palm do I buy it for 8 cents a sheet. There will be 750 sheets on the roof. 60 hollow blocks cost 15 dollars. The polyester chicken wire is the most expensive part. I could have had patrice made from bamboo but in that use, it is less durable.
I never quite understood how the bamboo is made into flooring so fast. It is round, so does it flex? and when nailed or pressed dry flat? We had a rep come in for a "Lunch n Learn" at the architectural firm with his samples and lot but couldnt answer the question for me. Go figure. Hasnt come up since!

Also the poly wire is dog proof? Wonder what its dimensions are. I dont even think I seen it here at a lowes or homedepo. Going to google it now. We are actually turning an old shed into grow out and two breeder pens. So I am looking for a cheaper wire to use on the inside separators and doors as there will be none of my dogs inside of it. We are working on it today and will use 2x3's to help keep costs down as well. I was thinking about using more pallets just to recycle but inside they are just too bulky and make for a tight "looking" space, and I wish it more open and airy since it is inside a small building.

Quote: This is where the DH and I have issues and vacation does not thrill me. I cannot stand crowds, just lazing worshiping the sun for a tan or more than a moment or so in reflection is just a waste of time unless I am freezing to death or have a problem I am trying to solve or creations in thoughts. DH loves people watching and sun bathing... weird

I have a friend that dives the seas and dives in streams for treasures and gold. I follow his explorations as well. He has a tough time of it and is willing to bath in the creeks and cook over campfires and sit with the locals in many country. Does he do it for the treasure? of course but only to add to his adventures not purchase frivolous items to sit and look at or boast about. Everything has a purpose and meaning to him.

I think I asked you before about fishing, do you fish in the waters there? It is the most favorite thing for me along with long walks in the mnts or fields.

Lock down today. 50 EGGS LOOK VIABLE

I cant believe I have been here 19 days already. Originally I was just coming for a week and then working two weeks before returning again:(for about five days. I have an amazing boss who ok 'd me to sneak an extra two weeks here. THANK YOU DENNIS!!
This is awesome!
Can't wait to find out the results.

Mrs OZ had a PhD class yesterday. Her school meets on Saturday for 12 hours. Normally she would be in Bacolod but because I am here, she jumped on a bus at 6am from Kabankalan to get there by 8am. I drove her the 20 minutes to town and then picked her up at around 10pm in the evening. It’s a grueling day.

Mrs OZ is a licensed Nurse Practitioner in California but while she is here marking time until the adoptions are finalized, she is keeping herself amused with a doctorate in psychology. She also taught last semester. Her class was educational psychology for physical therapy students. She had 80 students in two sections. Her pay was a whapping USD120 per month. Obviously she just did it for the experience. A full time teacher would make USD 400-500 per month. A nurse makes the same. A bank manager makes USD1000 per month. Those people who take your calls and cIomplaints for the cable company or bank call centers earn USD350-400.

Our car would currently cost about $22,000. It has a fuel efficient diesel 2.5 liter turbo engine. It seats 7 with the side seats folded down in the cargo area. Ours is a Mitsubishi Adventure but all manufacturers make a similar vehicle for the Asian market. The class of vehicle is an AUV - Asian Utility Vehicle. A Ford Ranger or Toyota Hilux twin cab small pick up is $30,000. A gallon of diesel is $5.00. Gas is over $6. Americans do not know how lucky they are when it comes to cars and gas. Insurance is $300 for comprehensive coverage and a $250 deductible. A car is out of the reach of all but a few. The 2 hr bus ride to Bacolod from Kabankalan is around $4. A local tricycle ride to the market is 20 cents. A plane to Manila is as cheap as 30 dollars to up to $120 each way depending on seat availability.

The visit to the pediatrician was $7. A blood count was $6. The dengue fever test was $35. This is all private practice costs. Though these examples of medical expenses are cheap, pharmaceuticals and medical devices are costly. A coronary angiogram with a stent angioplasty in Manila is at least $14,000. Everything is cash. When Lorenzo was admitted for pneumonia we had to pay $500 cash before they would admit him. The alternative is a provincial hospital and they are severely lacking. On Wednesday I donated an EKG machine and a defibrillator I was given by a hospital I worked for in LA. I told the doctor I had them on Tuesday night at the Lions Club meeting. She drove out to our place the next morning to pick them up. They had not had an EKG machine at that hospital before.

Day 19 of hatch.......

I never quite understood how the bamboo is made into flooring so fast. It is round, so does it flex? and when nailed or pressed dry flat? We had a rep come in for a "Lunch n Learn" at the architectural firm with his samples and lot but couldnt answer the question for me. Go figure. Hasnt come up since!

Also the poly wire is dog proof? Wonder what its dimensions are. I dont even think I seen it here at a lowes or homedepo. Going to google it now. We are actually turning an old shed into grow out and two breeder pens. So I am looking for a cheaper wire to use on the inside separators and doors as there will be none of my dogs inside of it. We are working on it today and will use 2x3's to help keep costs down as well. I was thinking about using more pallets just to recycle but inside they are just too bulky and make for a tight "looking" space, and I wish it more open and airy since it is inside a small building.
The bamboo used in home depot flooring is cut unto small strips, glued and then planed. I used it in my home in Los Angeles - its very appealing.

The bamboo here is very versatile. It is used in Asia as scaffolding when building sky scrapers. It amazes me. The type we use in the floor here will be split into widths about an inch across then laid flat. I will get some photos.

I am an avid fisherman Sally, but the water here is extremely over fished. There is a ban on beach fishing to protect the younger of the species. There are tuna, king mackeral, marlin, grouper, jacks and snapper over the reefs and deep sea.

Last edited:
Quote: Wonderful that you aranged that EKG machine and such!! WOW they never had one!

Bamboo~ I just cannot believe its not used more in the states!! The reps types were expensived I would love to see a "real" floor from there!

Overly fished same reason as missing chickens.

You say your wifes parents live there as well, how long have they resided there?

I so pray things work out well with the kiddos!! Your wife sounds awesome! Good for you OZ!

Back
Top Bottom