Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozexpat, Dec 25, 2012.

1. bribre

bribre Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Alberta Canada
    Love your story and great pics!!!

2. Candyman

Candyman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    Islamabad, Pakistan
    ozexpat lovely pictures.... lovely place

3. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Lock down today. 50 EGGS LOOK VIABLE

I cant believe I have been here 19 days already. Originally I was just coming for a week and then working two weeks before returning again:(for about five days. I have an amazing boss who ok 'd me to sneak an extra two weeks here. THANK YOU DENNIS!!

1 person likes this.
  4. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    OK, I admit it. I have been lurking [​IMG] We had snow here for the past 2 weeks & now rain the past 2 days so I have been enjoying your tropical pix & trying to stay warm. Good luck on your hatch & with raising the new babies. The rats may present a problem for the young birds & will definitely eat eggs if given opportunity. This may be part of the reason you are losing so many of your "local" chicks before they reach maturity. A friend of mine was just complaining to me today that a rat has invaded her barn & stolen all but 1 of the eggs right out from under her Silkie hen over the past 2 days. She is on a search & destroy mission looking for said rat.

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    AWESOMENESS!!!! [​IMG]

6. OffGridMAMA

OffGridMAMA Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2012
    valley center, CA
    50!!!!! Wow!!!! Hope they all hatch without complications :) can't wait to see ur babies..

7. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

The local chickens must have heard that they were being invaded by foreigners. There are chicks everywhere. 4 of the mamas have 4 babies each. They are 3 to 4 weeks old. The new coop will have cinder blocks half buried around the coop and run and then 12 inches of galvanized steel sheet above the blocks all. The way around. This should keep the rats out. I am getting some plastic drums today to try the sally rat killer.

1 person likes this.
  8. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

I am allergic to cold weather. SoCal is cold enough for me. On Thursday I got a good dose of sunburn while building the coop. I am currently a certified red neck.

Good luck with your chicks. Keep us posted.

9. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    The cinder blocks are a foundation or simple supports, just wondering about surface underneath and critters ummm RATS!

10. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

The cinders are to keep dogs from digging under. On top will be a 2 x 2. The GI sheet will hang down an inch and up 11 inches. Another 2x2 will be supporting the top of the sheet. Above that will be 6 feet of plastic chicken wire.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by