Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Son is doing well. Its not Dengue so that's a big relief.
thumbsup.gif

The trailer I built last week is loaded with about 1600 pounds of copra. We are off to the copra mill in Dumaguete to sell it. Current prices are rock bottom but it will go rancid if we store it too long. The drive takes us to about 4000 feet over a mountain range then along the coast between the islands of negros and cebu. Its large whale season so we may see some big guys migrating through the straight. We will overnight in Dumaguete and I will try and extend my visa. I left my only long trousers in Bacolod so they may turn me away.

Last edited:
The ride over the mountain with the new trailer went well. Copra mill closes for lunch. Let's hope for a good price. Pizza, burgers and a cold beer for lunch. Its time for some western food.

Last edited:
Copra prices are aweful. We got 16 pesos per kilo. That's 25% of this time 2 years ago. The joys of farming.

Sugar cane cutting by hand

loading the trucks

trans loading to mills north of us competing with the nearby mill

Coke is it! The local soda fountain

The nearest 7/11.

the wind picked up and this tree was perilously close to the workers house so a guy climbed top with rope in had. He tied the rope to the crown of the 80 foot tree then trimmed it to make it less vulnerable to gusts of winds. We insist Bernie uses a harness to harvest coconuts - this guy scampered up and around the crown then back down in ten minutes. The rope was to guide the tree.

our Filipino lumberjack now milling lumber with a chain saw.

Time for a break.

Coconut juice anyone?

My little red trailer I built last week!

I told you I was making a coop!!!

One of the teenagers offering assistance

the turkeys eating the left over coconut meat

a mother hen with her chicks

the end of the day!

When you absolutely positively need gas!

A pedal power tricicad - also used for passengers

A well loaded jeepney leaving our municipality

Cane is the lifeblood of our island

my roo

another day ends

local teenagers

rice drying on the side of the road

manual labor

rice after drying - ready for the mill

awe

a local tricycle

a fuit stand

just a few pics. I hope you enjoy. More to follow!

Tonight we are at an amazing seafood place that char grills on charcoal made of coconut husks. Kinilaw (filipino ceviche), calimari, chicken soup with vegetables and ginger, grilled blue marlin and a local jack fish called mamsa. It was awesome.

Back
Top Bottom