Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Sugar apple? Similar to a pawpaw? (I'm a little obsessed with pawpaws) Sugar apples are obviously something we can't grow here in the mountains of VA… but pawpaws are native and also a custard apple. How long do sugar apples last from the time they are ripe?

Sugar apples are an Asian cherimoya. They are different from paw paws, but are in the same related family of trees. They can last a max of maybe a week once ripe. Ideally, IMO, you'll want to eat them within a few days of harvest. So, they make importing/exporting almost impossible.

Probably more info than you wanted to know, but FWIW....

Unfortunately the cold winters of VA will certainly kill them. I had one dry out and die just from the cold winter winds of SoCal! The one I grow is a super sweet hybrid variety called atemoya. My dad has successfully managed to grow some in Houston, but the fruits are smaller than growing in countries like Phillipines, Taiwan and Vietnam. He's also got an expert green thumb and had to move them into a greenhouse for the winter, since it actually can get pretty cold and icy there.

The Chinese and Taiwanese name for sugar apple translates to Buddha's name (Shakyamuni) because the shape looks like his head. (Phonetically, in Taiwanese, it's "SHIkya")

Funny post.

I get a lot of requests for Brahma but I have never had the opportunity.

Are they tough
We found a bunch of Brahmas when we went shopping two weeks ago to replace our processed barnyard hen. Picked up a black sex link instead, the brahmas looked like they wouldn't even fit in the door or our coop.

I've never had them but from what I've been told they're pretty hardy to the temperate climate here in Belgium and they do alright in Texas, my neighbor had them out in 100 degree fahrenheit weather. I don't know if that helps out in the Philippines.

Your kids are precious! I'm calling my dad in a little while (darn these time zones!) to wish him a happy Father's Day. My mom's family is Vietnamese so I know it must be hard for y'all to be separated so often. From what I read here though you're an excellent father all the same.

Back
Top Bottom