Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Welcome AmyPaperLady.
I sold my house there last year currently in Sacramento area.
This thread is a great read. Especially since we are working on starting a small farm in the Philippines.

Oz has provided tons of great info at least for me lol.
can we get some pics of your coop & your flock there?

thanks Patrick

PS: stay away from the Balut
sickbyc.gif

Wish I could. We are still trying to get the family to understand how and why you don't raise a chicken and sell. Instead you hatch raise hatch raise then hatch sell.

They don't understand much. Cause they are use to buy raise sell. Which to me earns very little.

We are in states for now. Need to earn more money to make our farm self sustainable.

No coops yet but looking for cheap and easy way.

Also thinking we need a huge mosquito net to protect from mosquitoes. After reading some of this lol.

Also trying to get new pics of the land lol

Wow.

Not sure how long it took to get caught up--I kept seeing this thread, and thinking it was too long to read everything (and I couldn't just not read everything), so I kept passing it by... So of course, it was even longer when I finally did jump in after @scflock mentioned it over on the "She said/He said" thread
lol.png
I did a page or two here and there, until the last week or so, when I started archive bingeing... 'Twas very tempting to post when I got to the photos of the road trip to Washington, but didn't want to play find-the-place every time I got back online after that!

Anyway, quick intro... I'm in California too, barely--Crescent City, on the coast, just 19 miles from Oregon. So, assuming you stayed on 101 the whole way, you went through here. If you take the kids to see coastal redwoods, and make it to the northernmost part of the range again, let me know
thumbsup.gif
(When I was working fast food, I had to bite my tongue every time a tourist asked where the redwoods were--there is literally no way to drive here without seeing redwoods--if someone had driven from down south, they'd been driving through them for hours... Even from both northern routes, you see them for a bit, though I will admit that it's only about 10 minutes worth coming from Brookings) I've got 8 hens (2 red sex links, GLW, WLW, EE, a mutt with gamebird in her that's my broody (I've found that, while she's a good mama, and does well with local eggs, she doesn't do well with shipped eggs), a Russian Orloff, and a White Leghorn. I also have 4 EE chicks from the feedstore that I grafted onto the broody after the latest experiment with shipped eggs, but I haven't decided yet if we'll be keeping them or selling them. I'm married, and we have 2 daughters, 12 and 6. We also have a boxer who gets along great with the chickens--she steals anything I toss to them, even if it's something she won't otherwise touch, and she's let them eat her dogfood from her bowl
gig.gif
We've only got about 0.17 acres, so no roosters, guineas, or "quacking ducks" (technically, we can have them if one of the girls were to join 4H, FFA, or Grange and register them, but I think we're already "those neighbors"
wink.png
). I'd love to get muscovies, but we'd have to do some serious rearranging. I'm also seriously considering quail, and have put in a bid for an Incukit for Christmas/my birthday (3 days after).

Now to set out pillows for all the folks that know me from "She said/He said" for when they faint because I actually said more than 2 words
lau.gif
Wow! That's a lot more than Wonderland quotes. I'm hurt
hit.gif

So I am all set for a trip back to the farm.

School is fully loaded but most of my units are on line so I can do them anywhere.

I just posted my 4 original goats on facebook. I sold them in a heartbeat fr double what Bernie negotiated them for so I am happy. I will have to deliver them (for a fee) next week

Glad you noobs are enjoying the thread. Its growing and growing

Wish I could. We are still trying to get the family to understand how and why you don't raise a chicken and sell. Instead you hatch raise hatch raise then hatch sell.

They don't understand much. Cause they are use to buy raise sell. Which to me earns very little.

We are in states for now. Need to earn more money to make our farm self sustainable.

No coops yet but looking for cheap and easy way.

Also thinking we need a huge mosquito net to protect from mosquitoes. After reading some of this lol.

Also trying to get new pics of the land lol
i have my eye on a 1/2 hector or so out behind my inlaws

not sure how much i can do if i'm only there max. 1 month per year

in the states i always say "buy fence not feed"

good quality fence only needs to be purchased once

in the Philippines i'm guessing good quality would mean cement (6' high or better)

no other kind of fence will keep both the things with 4 feet & the things with 2 feet out of your poultry.

my farther inlaw found out 1st hand

his broody hen was leaving the property & she was getting help
he.gif

so nice of his uncle to put her up under his arm & take her to the other side of the street

long story short he got the hen back

5 min. later it would have been another story (adobo)
droolin.gif

i'm wondering how much land would be needed to raise a flock of DP birds over there

something like a buff Orpington or even a Bresse might do well if rotated on pasture.

So I am all set for a trip back to the farm.

School is fully loaded but most of my units are on line so I can do them anywhere.

I just posted my 4 original goats on facebook. I sold them in a heartbeat fr double what Bernie negotiated them for so I am happy. I will have to deliver them (for a fee) next week

Glad you noobs are enjoying the thread. Its growing and growing
what is your blast off date OZ?

my blue slate hens are still laying

got a pair of Rio Grand

but no eggs yet from the female

Back
Top Bottom