Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozexpat, Dec 25, 2012.

1. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

they are so easy - and free up the styrobator from lock down so you can set continuously - get one knocked up

2. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

definitely your baby. 17 of them are your babies if i remember correctly... maybe 18

1 person likes this.
  3. piglett

piglett Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    thanks for the updated pics OZ
    the coop looks great!!!

1 thing i would like to add is
    in the "chicken butt" picture i see the
    feeder or waterer is sitting rite on the ground
    this allows lots of poop in :(
    we place ours up on blocks of wood or bricks
    the feeder or waterer should be even with the back of the smallest bird

all the rest looks good though
    have you lookes into nipples
    we run a 5 gallon bucket in out big coop with 4 nipples in the bottom
    the flocks always has clean water to drink

take care
    piggy

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad117/piglett2195/CHICKENS/Picture029-1.jpg

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad117/piglett2195/CHICKENS/Picture033-1.jpg

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  4. hillfloweranch

hillfloweranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Teddy checkin out his new digs. Gave him 3 New Hampshire girls to play with, the cream legbar girls are still too little to be in the new pen. I finished the brooder/coop. made some mods and it actually came out pretty awesome. I'm going to use this as my future design for breeding pens. bought 2 sheets of plywood and used the rest of the wood I had laying in the driveway and wa-laa insta coop...I also mangaged to make the floor boards removable and the back panels also not sure how I managed that bit of genius but I did. now just gotta figure out the door on the front. the roof is hinged so if I don't add a hanging nest box I can just lift the lid for eggs.

1 person likes this.
  5. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

its the waterer and bernie changes the water every day - we purposely use smaller sizes too.- make sure they get changed daily.

I have looked into nipples. i have 60 in my bag to go over. simple not enough time to do it when i was there for 74 hours and had to build a bator, set almost 300 eggs and swim with the kids

6. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Teddy looks settled! I like the designs. You are going to get busy real soon.

7. piglett

Feb 22, 2012
    oh, no big deal OZ they all look to be live & kicking
    you'll get to it when you get to it
    once you have it though you will never want to go back to those old style waterers
    in that heat i would wash out the buckets once a week

take care
    pig

8. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

I have a 55 gallon drum and will use pipe for the nipples, 12 per coop.

9. piglett

Feb 22, 2012
    i guess that will hold some water for ya :)
    we figured out that 1 nipple will supply 3 or 4 birds no problem (maybe more)

time for me to "hit the hay"

pig

10. threadgeek

threadgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok, I'm an official lurker who has been TRYING to catch up on this thread for weeks! I only have ~580 posts to go, if only I could read the thread at a rate higher than post rate I could have a chance of catching up one day... I blame my 10 month old son for keeping me from the computer!
    That said, Oz you are really doing something special and I admire you. Thank you for sharing your story and your wonderful writings, it not only makes for a great read but is inspirational as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by