Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozexpat, Dec 25, 2012.

1. chicknfun

chicknfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Bunnell, FL

2. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Technically you are right on time. Her birthday is the 12th but because of the international date line - they are 16 hours ahead. Its a trip and gets me into trouble all the time. I have had to re-work anyone who lives on the other side of the Pacific's birthdays and special events. I have missed more mothers days and fathers days for my folks that I am willing to admit.

The other wonder of the international date line is that it takes 2 days to fly to the Philippines or Australia from the USA but on the return flight, you get here before you left

3. chicknfun

chicknfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Bunnell, FL

4. suncatcher

suncatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    In front of my computer
    This man's grandfather raised game birds from the Philippines, Guam and Hawaii. http://76.163.44.39/catalog1.html Made his own Game bird. Check out his price list! Do his Yellow Leg Hatch look like any of your local birds? Just curious......

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

6. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

yup. game birds in the philippines can be worth 10x that.

I am trying to create a not game bird for the local Filipino

[​IMG]

but...

one of his birds above

[​IMG]

and my current but soon to be eaten alpha local rooster

7. suncatcher

suncatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    In front of my computer

8. piglett

piglett Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    me myself....i'm thinking chicken soup :)

9. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

While I understand that there is money to be made out of game birds

1. In order to make a rooster valuable in the Philippines, he must be thrown in a ring and survive. I abhor that "sport" and would never do anything to promote it.

2. Bringing eggs or birds this direction from Asia is impossible. Since the advent of Avian Flu, all bird imports from Asia are banned. Even bringing eggs into the USA from Europe will cost 1000s of dollars. There are threads on it by individuals on BYC. One guy was selling his first generation eggs from imported eggs for 25-50 dollars. Now people who bought eggs from him are selling 2nd generation for 5 bucks. The department of agriculture fees for legally shipping birds or eggs to the Philippines is 2 bucks a piece.

3. I should be able to sell breeding trios of breeds like Orpingtons for $120. A mini coop and a few Polish will sell well to the affluent who want a conversation piece and have a maid to care for the chickens. I will make money from that. I will also sell eggs and roosters. I did not start this to make money - it was more of a cause - but paying the feed bill will be great.

10. hillfloweranch

hillfloweranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    Well Oz my offer stands! You have special breeds you want and need hatching eggs I'm willing to keep them for you and send all the eggs your way. If there people that want eggs you can set the price to offset feed bill that way you don't have to worry and will always have a steady supply of hatching eggs.
    Just doing my part for the OZ COZ! Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by