Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozexpat, Dec 25, 2012.

1. el pollo rey

el pollo rey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    costa Rica
    two Limit switches one wired n/o other n/c wired in series with a reversing starter done and simple

2. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Hey I found a thread showing somones Home made incubator simulating a Dickey. third picture down shows a view through the back of the Bator.

Looks like the turners are attached to a single motor that pulls them down one way..... I suspect the trays are weighted the other way to lift them back up....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/dickeys-incubator

Ilike the design because there are doors both front and back to access individual components for maintenence. Like someone said.... simpler is better and I do agree.

deb

3. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

4. piglett

piglett Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    same here Deb
    if you need the engine in your car pulled out no problem
    i'll be rite over with the tools & the engine crane
    we can do it rite in the driveway

but getting the turner to shut off then start back up when the time is rite is a tough one for me to figure out in my mind
    now if i could see one then that's a different story
    i know you need two "kill switches" limit switches
    but hooking those little suckers up is not something i have ever done
    i have rewired my whole house but that is not the same
    but as El Polo said it is like a 3way switch in a hallway
    but i have never needed to mix a timer in with a 3way switch

thanks all
    piglett

5. hillfloweranch

hillfloweranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    Salmon Fav getting photo bombed by White Rock! LOL
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

looking good!

1 person likes this.
  7. Pife

Pife New Egg

Apr 9, 2013
  8. LFchixranch

LFchixranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2013
    South Central PA
    Oz I am in South central PA, about a half hr east of Hershey. As for getting rid of my flock, it was a mix of emotions. In one hand I didn't want to, but on the other hand it is a chance to have a do over and get it right this time with heritage birds and exactly the ones I want for egg color and yard ornaments. Now that I am in the North East though, I now have to find a location the city/township will allow birds. I think this is going to be much better having to start over. I get to plan and build everything with no rush except for the chicken math pushing me. Now its the planning phase of the what type of birds and size of brooder/breeding/laying pens. I would like to hatch all of them but I really don't want to buy eggs for USPS to muck up. I will probley be hitting up Sally Sunshine at some point as she is close by (About an HR I think) and I would like some Cochin, Brahma's and Silkies for some Broodies. I guess I should sit down and make my list of breeds first before I put the cart in front of the horse. OPPS to late, I gotta find a location first.[​IMG]

9. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Dick Horstman is near Pitsburgh I think

http://horstmanspoultry.com/home.html

he has a great heritage starter set

single and rose comb RIR
    silver penciled rocks
    silver and red dorkings
    blue andalusians
    blue orpingtons
    gold laced cochins
    silver laced wyandottes

worth a drive

he takes a bit to contact and his birds/eggs get sold out fast but getting on the list is a good move

10. LFchixranch

LFchixranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2013
    South Central PA
    Thanks Oz, there's a few on that list I may look into. I have a ways to go before I can actually add the Chicken... Kinda like making a dish. First I have to select the kitchen (land), then the pot (coup,brooder, pens,run), then the recepie (what chickens), then the cooking starts (BATOR). In time it will come to gether, My biggest problem is not getting ahead of the plan. Have to keep telling myself to take it 1 step at a time. I SOOO want it to be done yesterday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by