Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a PLC and using it to completely control everything on the bator.

Depends on the digital controller you get but that should be able to drive it.

The one I built has an output (the same as the one the above poster used), you just tell it how often you want it to work, how long for and can even alter the power that it gets (in %) So, you can set it to work for 6 seconds every 3 hours at 90% power. Obviously it vary's depending on the motor, travel and how often you want it to fire but you get the idea. Our's just has a two wire port. I adapted another egg turner motor but that actuator would work too, providing the voltages matched up.

I have a couple of timers that plug into the wall, one does minutes but I found that it needed to be less than a minute, so this built in method was perfect.

There are quite a few vids on youtube showing 'how to's'.

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a PLC and using it to completely control everything on the bator.
I was thinking the same, but I just could not build a digital thermostat/heater/turner combo for anywhere near the price of the unit I used.

$49, and I added a tuner for $9.99 and a themometer/hyrometer with remote probe too. That's only their desk top version though, but it has some great features, and I just could not build and program anywhere near as cheap as off the shelf.

http://incubatorwarehouse.com/48-watt-incukit-dc.html

Last edited:
Depends on the digital controller you get but that should be able to drive it.

The one I built has an output (the same as the one the above poster used), you just tell it how often you want it to work, how long for and can even alter the power that it gets (in %) So, you can set it to work for 6 seconds every 3 hours at 90% power. Obviously it vary's depending on the motor, travel and how often you want it to fire but you get the idea. Our's just has a two wire port. I adapted another egg turner motor but that actuator would work too, providing the voltages matched up.

I have a couple of timers that plug into the wall, one does minutes but I found that it needed to be less than a minute, so this built in method was perfect.

There are quite a few vids on youtube showing 'how to's'.
thanks ben - i was hoping you and deb would chime in here.

my plan was to run one timer for 75 seconds - then the other 2 hours later. The positives would be to either side of the polarity reversing switch and the negatives would be together. the timers are mains but I have 2 12v transformers

Sounds effective, as long as it is 'tuneable'. The linear type tuners require a time period to adjust the stroke.

So, if your doing chicken eggs they may have a diameter of 70mm (roll egg along ruler) you want half of that distance to turn one time = ~35mm stroke. You may find it takes 75 seconds to travel that far each turn. Perfect.

BUT

If you then want to put smaller (eg quail eggs) or the like, the stroke will be shorter, and there fore you you will to adjust the time to suit the shorter stroke.

As long as you can adjust the time it operates you can tune to suit the different size strokes. Mine took a few practices to get the eggs to turn 180 deg each time. Mine was never quite perfect but no one says it must be exact anyway, even if it was a couple of seconds every hour or so you will achieve the result of the embryo not sticking to the side.

EDIT: PLC is programmable controlled logic. Making a chip do the thinking for you. Those digital controllers, or anything that has parameters monitored or controlled by a computer.

Last edited:
Sounds effective, as long as it is 'tuneable'. The linear type tuners require a time period to adjust the stroke.

So, if your doing chicken eggs they may have a diameter of 70mm (roll egg along ruler) you want half of that distance to turn one time = ~35mm stroke. You may find it takes 75 seconds to travel that far each turn. Perfect.

BUT

If you then want to put smaller (eg quail eggs) or the like, the stroke will be shorter, and there fore you you will to adjust the time to suit the shorter stroke.

As long as you can adjust the time it operates you can tune to suit the different size strokes. Mine took a few practices to get the eggs to turn 180 deg each time. Mine was never quite perfect but no one says it must be exact anyway, even if it was a couple of seconds every hour or so you will achieve the result of the embryo not sticking to the side.

I want it to raise and lower one side of a 300 egg cabinet bator turner.

Last edited:
Ah...well, that's different then lol For some reason I thought you were doing a slide type?!

I have not built one of those as we only need the smaller one. That actuator would be great, but would need some sort of switching, or to self switch once it reaches the end of it's travel.

Alternatively, you could opt for a 'round motor' and use some of the principals to avoid needing two actuators or reversing polarity. Like a reversed steam train. That uses a linear piston to drive a circle, you would use a circle to make it a linear drive.

I am going to go see if I can find pictures or something that might make my ramblings a little more clear. Or If I can find a actuator the reverses it's own polarity at end travel.

OK, should be able to do it piece of cake, just depends on the best place you can find it.

I have used these guys products before and they are very good, but I am sure you can find the same bit's closer to home and cheaper.

One way, would to work it would be to use a single actuator with a reversing relay, does such a thing exist I hear you ask?, why yes they do!

http://www.firgelliauto.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=70&products_id=29

If you find that it is driving too fast you can install a speed controller too, the same place has them as well.

http://www.firgelliauto.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=70&products_id=88

Looks like it would make a very good system, how ever, not exactly on the cheap side.

If price was the key aspect, then I would consider the traditional 'round' drive motor. It would mean a bit of extra setting up, but would be much cheaper and simpler to control once the math had been done.

I will go see what I can dig up along those lines.

Ah...well, that's different then lol For some reason I thought you were doing a slide type?!

I have not built one of those as we only need the smaller one. That actuator would be great, but would need some sort of switching, or to self switch once it reaches the end of it's travel.

Alternatively, you could opt for a 'round motor' and use some of the principals to avoid needing two actuators or reversing polarity. Like a reversed steam train. That uses a linear piston to drive a circle, you would use a circle to make it a linear drive.

I am going to go see if I can find pictures or something that might make my ramblings a little more clear. Or If I can find a actuator the reverses it's own polarity at end travel.
i have seen them built with a rotiserrie motor and gearing but they burn out with continuous use . my thought was to use a car window rocker switch and somehow rig it to two timers

Back
Top Bottom