Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozexpat, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Bens-Hens

Bens-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

I found a bit of info, this video best explains the rotary type drive. The AC motor (linear or rotary) should not burn out as it should not be powered continuously. You want it to fire up, travel and then stop. Where I was warned off, was getting a fast motor, then slowing it right down where it would then die in a short time of continuous running.

If you used a high torque motor, set to run at slow speed for a short time I would think it would last for a very long time.

Here you can see the linkage and how it works 'like a steam train' Half a circle become your 90 flip. If you are using a digital controller that has a turner output (I am sure most would) then you can set it and forget it.

Something like what this US company provides, is a high torque low rpm (1 - 5 rpm, should fine) they are $23, far cheaper than an actuator alone, let along throwing in the reversing relay I posted above.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#electric-motors/=mlks3m

As for your twin timer single actuator method, I am sure that would work a treat too, a bit of setting up to get right but should work. I just wanted to kick some other option out there.

Do you have an example link or video I can check out?

Cheer Ben

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  2. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

no example - i just got the idea from an auto coop door idea

if i get it to work I will post a vid. I got an actuator doe 20 bucks used. it works fine - just the timer wiring i need to mess with before i build a turner around it

3. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

4. perchie.girl

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  5. Bens-Hens

Bens-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks Deb, some great info there.

I only just found the mcmaster site today. I have been having a poke around there this afternoon.

I like the rotary style, as you mentioned, not need for limits or reversing polarity. You have the actuator, it is cheap and works so I am sure it won't be too hard to make it all work. I didn't realize you had already procured it, other wise I would have been more 'shoosh' about the rotary type hahaha.

What heating system are you using for this one? I recall you wanted a self contained, set and forget style.

6. piglett

piglett Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    let me jump in here folks
    i like things simple so how about this
    you get 2 switches like you would have for a fridge door
    you know the little thing that turns the light on & off when the door is opened
    ok so you have 2 of these mounted on the bottom of you bator cabinet
    & you have a turner like the one Bens-Hend posted on the youtube vid
    all you need is a little rod on either side that will contact the two switches
    once the turner moves the rod enough the fridge switch shuts the turner motor off
    the rod could be made out of most anthing even scrap wood :)
    & i'm sure someone clever will tell us how to power the turner for the next cycle

piglett

7. el pollo rey

el pollo rey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    costa Rica
    . Man that sounds like me

8. el pollo rey

el pollo rey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    costa Rica
    . Omron 120 v limit switches they are sealed and cheap about ten bucks each ,,, just sayin

9. perchie.girl

10. perchie.girl

Yep.... And they come in paddle style, roller style, roller and paddle, compression, extension..... Mc Master is a great place to set them side by side to look at the actions and wiring diagrams.

deb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by