Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Just wondering - is it the heat or the combination of heat and humidity that kills the chooks?
On Black Saturday it was 47 degrees here with flames licking the back sides of the chook houses and I didnt lose a single one.
Of course relative humidity that day was about zero.

Cheers

M
its the combination i reckon. higher humidity decreases cooling via evaporation.

thats sad. how hot has it been? stick a thermometer up there and see how hot it gets.
i don't think it was all that hot down on the floor of the coop (everyone is alive & well)
however the broody hen box is mounted rite below the rafters (so it's out of the way)
i'll have to go with a thermometer & see what reading i get.
it's cooled back down & i now have a pair of broody silkies sitting on about 15 eggs between them in the broody box
2 pips so far so i guess they will have chiks by tomorrow
D.gif

well we are heading to the top of mount washington today
last year at this time i was waiting for Marily to arrive for the 1st time in boston
& 3 years ago we were in the province saying "I do"

take care all
patrick

Last edited:
I read all the way up to page 39 before I decided I should probably turn my attention to my four kiddos....lol! Thanks for such a fun read!

Has your adoption been completed yet?

i don't think it was all that hot down on the floor of the coop (everyone is alive & well)
however the broody hen box is mounted rite below the rafters (so it's out of the way)
i'll have to go with a thermometer & see what reading i get.
it's cooled back down & i now have a pair of broody silkies sitting on about 15 eggs between them in the broody box
2 pips so far so i guess they will have chiks by tomorrow
D.gif

well we are heading to the top of mount washington today
last year at this time i was waiting for Marily to arrive for the 1st time in boston
& 3 years ago we were in the province saying "I do"

take care all
patrick
happy anniversary my friends

I read all the way up to page 39 before I decided I should probably turn my attention to my four kiddos....lol! Thanks for such a fun read!

Has your adoption been completed yet?
ADOPTION UPDATE

We had our final meetings with the social workers this past week. They have been receiving flack from above from when we lodged a formal complaint and they are scrambling to complete their tasks in time for the court hearing next week.

If everything gets done, the children will be declared legally available for adoption. The petition to adopt will be accepted along with the recommendation by DSWD to the court. The court has 2 months to make a decision. If all goes well, decision will be in September. If not - then October.

The two year clock for when they will be allowed to apply for green cards and admission to USA starts at the declaration. We will attempt to get them tourist visas in the mean time.

Y
ADOPTION UPDATE

We had our final meetings with the social workers this past week. They have been receiving flack from above from when we lodged a formal complaint and they are scrambling to complete their tasks in time for the court hearing next week.

If everything gets done, the children will be declared legally available for adoption. The petition to adopt will be accepted along with the recommendation by DSWD to the court. The court has 2 months to make a decision. If all goes well, decision will be in September. If not - then October.

The two year clock for when they will be allowed to apply for green cards and admission to USA starts at the declaration. We will attempt to get them tourist visas in the mean time.
[/quoteYay!!!!

Back
Top Bottom