Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozexpat, Dec 25, 2012.

  1. perchie.girl

    perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  2. piglett

    piglett Chillin' With My Peeps

    Feb 22, 2012
    hey thanks
    we had a great time up on the tallest mountain in the northeastern US
    there was even a little snow up there
  3. piglett

    piglett Chillin' With My Peeps

    Feb 22, 2012
    the humidity is 40% or lower where i am unless it's raining then it can spike
    i think the real problem was the fact that the coop has a metal roof on it
    next time i'll also open the coop door till i'm ready to close them up at night.

  4. ozexpat

    ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

    Megabator Update Day 10

    One halogen bulb required replacing. It lost brightness rather than blowing.

    Temps remain 100.0F

    Bator humidity has increased to 53% and it has started raining (wet season starts June 1), Adding a second dehumidifier.

    Tonight Bernie will candle one tray of light chicken eggs, one tray of peafowl and turkey.
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  5. Sally Sunshine

    Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

    Aug 23, 2012
    My Coop
  6. piglett

    piglett Chillin' With My Peeps

    Feb 22, 2012
    how many more days till the buffs hatch out OZ?

    we just had 25 out of 27 hatch out
    3 britts the rest buff american

  7. ozexpat

    ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

    Great hatch rate pig. I hope the Bresse do well.

    The Gallus Domesticus eggs go into lockdown on the 15th and we should have Orpingtons as well as a whole host of others out on the 17th. I am waiting for the candling results from last night. I had Bernie candle a sample tray of the lightest eggs just to give me an indication that things are progressing.

    I will have him do a full candle on day 19 when he puts them in lock down.
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  8. LFchixranch

    LFchixranch Chillin' With My Peeps

    Jan 9, 2013
    South Central PA
    Great news on the trip and the kids. Keep up the great work and fingers crossed for the candling on day 19
  9. ozexpat

    ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

    Megabator Update Day 11

    Bernie did his first ever candling last night. The results:

    Guinea Fowl 9 from 24
    Turkey 9 from 33
    Peacock 7 from 11
    Goose 4 from 12

    He did not candle chicken eggs. He will look at 60 tonight.

    I can live with these numbers. I hope for a 25% hatch rate and would be over the moon with 50%.

    At this stage its really about establishing viable breeding pairs that can propagate the breed there.

    Double shipped eggs that traveled up to 10000 miles, that are a minimum of a week old when set, and not stored for that 7 plus days in stable temps does not bode well for 80% hatch rates we all dream of.

    I plan to set 20 eggs from my young hens next trip to see how they fare travelling 50 yards.
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  10. Bens-Hens

    Bens-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

    I know it may not seem like it, but that's still an average of 40% viability (So far, not that anyone is actually counting chickens before they hatch or anything)

    So, as you said, to get this far with 40% after what they have been through is much closer to your goal of 50% than 25%. well done to you, Bernie and the rest of the team.

    If rates were to continue on this curve, would you do this kind of hatch again with different suppliers to have a 'fresh' breeding platform, (preventing in breeding) or are you stocks suitable to breed from without in breeding being a concern? I am just learning a bit about that side of thing so interested to see how it would effect your stock.

    Either way, slow from stock or more golf bag runs, I will be attentively waiting and watching for your results. Great news with the little ones too, one step closer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by