Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozexpat, Dec 25, 2012.

1. OffGridMAMA

OffGridMAMA Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2012
    valley center, CA

A small price to pay for constant chicken TV right?! Lol
    Yikes!!!

I have another broody.. my daughter's black bantam cochin...have lost count! I think she's #7? Hmmm..... :)

Unfortunately my reds are either not laying or the squirrels are eating scrambled hrir for lunch daily :( Swedish flower and splash marans it is...

2. piglett

piglett Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    $2000 why so much OZ?

3. piglett

Feb 22, 2012
    i got them to work in my area, not saying they would work well in another part of the world though.

pig

4. scottcaddy

scottcaddy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

5. piglett

Feb 22, 2012
    i had two broody silkies sitting on a batch of eggs
    it started out that 1 silkie only was sitting on them
    well she would sit in an empty nest part of the time (not the smartest hen arounnd)
    so then my -10f allstar hatching broody stepped up to the job
    i figured if she could hatch out a batch durring the coldest week of the winter that she would have no problem with the 15 eggs her sister had left
    next the "quitter" is back to sitting & the same box so ok what ever
    so it put both of them on day 20 in my broody hen box so the chicks don't fall out of the nest box
    they hatch out the 1st 4 chicks, life is good
    so i hatch out 25 more in the bator so i add them in with the pair of broodys...all looks well
    i check back the next day & i see 1 buff orpington chick with no fluff on the sides of it's neck...just raw flesh :(
    then i see the "quitter" start pecking & attacking another chick
    i come TOTALLY UNGLUED rite then & there
    no one *@$&%!'s with my chicks !!![​IMG]
    lets just say that the quitter hen is no longer a problem & hasn't harmed anymore chicks

my allstar broody is happy as can be , i put the remaining eggs in the hatcher & i'll put them up under here 1 by 1 as they hatch out. i'll have to get her some treats the next time we are at the store
    i wish i had 10 more just like her. she doesn't lay all that well but she could hatch out a rock!

piglett

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

internet

equipment - php55,000
    installation - php20,000
    monthly sat feed - 2990/month 1mb/512kb down/up min 1 year contract

satellite tv is just php7000 set up and 500 a month

7. piglett

Feb 22, 2012
    man they really want to rape you on the equipment.............[​IMG]

8. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Yes. Its a little different to the standard hughes satellite technology here. The dish is a 1 meter dish. I looked at buying it independently and it was not worth it.

Perhaps if I build a few duplexes for humans instead of chickens, I could rent them out and split the satellite internet bill. Right now, the need for a few weeks a year does not justify.

On the farm I have no even loaded the Sat TV prepay bill for the last year or so. I have 1500 movies on a hard drive. That is enough for us.I just live in a news vacuum.

9. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Day 16 continues...

21 hours into the 16th day

The humidity in the bators remains at 50%. Monsoon conditions with half an inch or so of rain each day.

The last set of pictures were taken off the road over the mountain range to the Oriental side of Negros Island.

The next set is from Sipalay. Its a resort town 30 miles to the south. Its loaded with Non-American tourists who aren't caught up in the terror fear our press and right wing government get so much mileage out of. It saddens me to see people who are so xenophopic that they are scared to leave the confines of their comfort zone. The world is a beautiful place and most of humanity are friendly and welcoming.

A couple of the pics are mine and the others are stolen but that does not diminish the beauty of sugar beach

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. maryhysong

maryhysong Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Claypool, Arizona
    A beautiful place Oz. Good vibes for your hatches!

Reminds me of when I was going to go to Italy the first time; no one around here ever goes out of country, except Mexico, usually to visit relatives. I had co-workers asking if I was scared to go alone and crazy stuff like that. I would tell them Oh no, some of them speak English and they drive on the right side of the road, so it's all good ;-)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by