Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozexpat, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Sweetpea3829

Sweetpea3829 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    So they can sleep and whatnot, right on the wire bottom? Ours has a thick layer of pine bedding.

2. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

3. Sweetpea3829

Jun 1, 2013
    Ok, thanks!!! We need to figured out a better food dish anyways. The one we have, they manage to get all kinds of poo and bedding in there. At least the bedding issue would be solved by putting it over a wire grate.

4. piglett

piglett Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    depends how many you have
    if 50 they will keep each other warm no problem as long as they don't get rained on
    if you only have 5 them you better change the pine bedding often for a couple more weeks.

5. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

If using on a styro bator I just turn the built in thermostat way up and set the digital at temp. If you have a fan - it will go on and off with heat. You may want to direct wire the fan.

6. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

7. Sweetpea3829

Jun 1, 2013
    Yeah, we have 8...lol. What does the minimal temp need to be for them outside? I'm not expecting the daytime lows to stay this low for more than a day or so. Nighttime lows will probably routinely dip into the mid 60's all summer.

We've been changing the bedding once a week...but I'm sniffing that's not enough. [​IMG]

8. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

week 1 - 95
    week 2 - 90
    week 3 - 85
    week 4 - 80
    week 5 - 75
    week 6 - 70

9. Sweetpea3829

Jun 1, 2013
    Oh gosh!!! I think mine have been at about 70-75 for the last week! OOPS! They seem to be doing alright, though. Not huddling together or anything.

10. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Those are the numbers in the text books.

You should just assess the birds and adjust accordingly. I dont use a light after 3 weeks for my tropical birds. It gets down to 78 at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by