Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozexpat, Dec 25, 2012.

1. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

"UP" is a fantastic movie (I don't have kids but I bought that DVD after seeing the movie on one of my DirecTv channels). I didn't expect the first minutes to make me so verklempt, though!

I loved that Kevin was a "snipe."

So far, my visiting peacock has not made any calls. Well, there was one "Braaak" at one point when I was stalking it through my yard but not that woman-in-extreme-distress sound I have heard in a neighborhood near where I used to live. I followed that sound one day to discover a gorgeous peacock in full display and a peahen with chicks in somebody's yard.

This morning, the peacock was perched on top of my pergola, so he appears to like it here.

I love the little feather headdress or whatever it is that bobs so cutely as it moves. (Quail bobbly head things also amuse me.)

2. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  3. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

its all quiet on the western front.

hoping to get some geese today or tomorrow.

eggtopsies of the peacock and turkey showed similiar issues. Some early quitters, some swollen chicks.

I will have the dehumidifier modifications done this weekend and will test it in a cardboard mock up of my mega bator this weekend

4. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

eye have my fingers toes and eyes crossed for you pig

5. scottcaddy

scottcaddy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  6. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

it was meant to be a play on words

but i ham eggsausted

7. Ashburnham

Ashburnham Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Oz

I finally lashed out and bought one of those STC 1000 digital controllers from Ebay.

Now - what do you use as a heat source?

Cheers

M

8. piglett

piglett Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    i think you still use the heating element that came with your bator
    the controller just keeps the temp from over heating
    OZ where you at?

9. Sweetpea3829

Sweetpea3829 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Hey guys, when can my chicks go outside full-time? They're three weeks old and THEY STINK! I have a Superyard XT that I put them in when I'm outside with the kids, but it's a bit rainy so we're all inside for the next couple of days. I was thinking I could put the chicks in the Superyard, cover it with a tarp to keep rain out and maybe they'll be good?

Or is it too soon? Temps are a bit low, too...high 60's, low 70's. They're not under the heat lamp anymore, though.

BTW, when I put them in the superyard, I cover it with a net to keep them in and the cat and dogs out. I tie the net down. I'd like to keep them outside permanently, but our chicken coop isn't even started yet.

10. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

When I was brooding Guineas I had to clean the brooder about every two or three days. My next brooder is going to have a wire bottom so I can cover it with Rubbermaid shelf liner while they are teeny and then when they get older That comes out and now they poop through the grid on a disposable medium like newspaper..... Roll it up poop inside out it goes.

deb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by