Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Here are photos of the visiting peacock. I took these the first evening I saw him in my yard.

He IS a juvenile cock, right? Not a hen?

In any case, he's hung around for three days now. I have named him "Kevin" after the "snipe" in the movie UP! (Thanks, Sweetpea!!)

It's been so hot I have only gone outside for very short periods of time to complete flock chores .... and check to see where Kevin is meandering. He has been VERY interested in the coop pop door.

Wow Kevin is one handsome men!! I'd say he's about a year old, next year he will start growing in he's tail feathers. He looks like a black shoulder peacock.

Bre

Here are photos of the visiting peacock. I took these the first evening I saw him in my yard.

He IS a juvenile cock, right? Not a hen?

In any case, he's hung around for three days now. I have named him "Kevin" after the "snipe" in the movie UP! (Thanks, Sweetpea!!)

It's been so hot I have only gone outside for very short periods of time to complete flock chores .... and check to see where Kevin is meandering. He has been VERY interested in the coop pop door.

He looks like a "he" to me! I think the hens are drab colored and quite a bit smaller.

LOL, his name is Kevin! Awesome!

If I remember correctly, the neighbor's male peacocks all lose their feathers over the summer. They only have them in the spring. I still haven't been able to get a good picture of the males fanning. Every time I see them fan, I head over with my camera, get so close and then they drop the fan. And of course, the times I'm over there without my camera, that's when they'll fan nice and big.

Buggers.

If using on a styro bator I just turn the built in thermostat way up and set the digital at temp. If you have a fan - it will go on and off with heat. You may want to direct wire the fan.

It's an old upright freezer I have converted. I have a direct wired computer fan, and have been using the heating element from my old stryrofoam Bellsouth incubator,
but it doesnt have the power to heat the whole bator reliably.

xxx M

Back
Top Bottom