Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozexpat, Dec 25, 2012.

1. hillfloweranch

hillfloweranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    I read on here about this couple had heard from an old timer ...you the chicks up by scruff, like a mother cat does with a kitten and the females will let their legs hang and the males tuck their legs up. The couple Tested this theory on a group of chicks already sexed at the feed store and sure enough it worked, so I tried it on my 3 day old chicks and 3 let their legs hang and 1 tucked up...try it! Let me know if it works for ya!

2. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

I will give it a try. Could be interesting. Thanks

3. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    The theory I heard with this 1 was boys kick & struggle to get loose when you gently lift them by the head & girls just let themselves hang limp. It only works for a few days after hatch though.

4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    x2

5. hillfloweranch

hillfloweranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    I did my mine at 3 days so I'm pretty sure it worked but Mother Nature likes a good joke so ya never know!! Lol

6. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

lol, i have to faverolle eggs under a hen right now... I will have to see... then feather sex and see what happens. LOL PLEASE BE GIRLS!

7. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    Salmon favs can be sexed at a week or 2 by color of feathers coming in. Roos will have black in wings & hackles. Pullets will have no black.

8. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Well based on the leg hanging, I have half rooster and half hens. Whats the odds of that!!! Lol

9. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Today supposed to be my last day here but I have to sign some documents in manila on Monday so I am delayed a day.

Its the Sinulog festival in kabankalan this week do we are off to see the street parade. The festival celebrates Santo NiƱo, the Christ child but is built on pagan beginnings with amazing costumes and drums. Its a great unplanned addition to my trip. I will post pics when I can.

The chicks are almost s week old. They are doing very well in their brooder. The coop is just about finished. My time here with my family is coming to an end.

10. Bulldogma

Bulldogma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    SW Virginia
    My Coop
    It must be very difficult to say "good bye" each time you go!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by