Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozexpat, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Ashburnham

Ashburnham Songster

Would that be an excess humidity issue?
    I notice the STC 1000 people now have a similar gadget that controls humidity.

xxxxx M

2. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

yes its a humidity issue

most humidity controllers add humidity

i have three mini dehumidifiers in my bator and have yet to trigger the humidistat to turn them off

3. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

if i had your skills i would be dangerous

4. LFchixranch

LFchixranch Songster

Jan 9, 2013
    South Central PA
    I am on day 22 of my hatch, started with 23 Araucana, 10 BCM and 2 EE. 8 Araucana 9 BCm 1 EE made it to lock down, 4 BCM out 1 Pipped and is zipping now, ALL Araucana are DOA at this point they look like they may have quite late in development[​IMG]. Lost 1 BCM that pipped but I screwed the pooch on the humidity and it ended up not being able to zip[​IMG]. I have 12 more Auracana that a fellow BYC'er was kinda enough to send me, 5-6 at day 4 looked promising but will have to candle again after I drop the humidity back down[​IMG].. So out of the local eggs BCM and Araucana, the BCM are doing great, The Araucana I belive are a result of the breeder practices but I dont actually know. I can understand the fertility issues but not the late quiters since I didnt have any major temp spikes to the high side.[​IMG]

5. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

congrats on the ones that made it.

I am hoping for more Ameraucana action myself.

i have 4 bredas 4 andalusians and 1 lemon cuckoo orp. The blue eggs are just sitting there.

6. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. scottcaddy

scottcaddy Crowing

Or in my case I should have pre-planned on at least 8 coops with runs.The idea of just about here looks good, has several drawbacks! I like to haul the poo in a garden trailer not in a 5 Gal Bucket, for starters!

8. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

8 Ameraucanas, 1 Andalusian, 1 Wellsummer 1 Lemon Cuckoo Orp hatched overnight. 17 chicks from 35 in lockdown.

One of the Andalusians has scissor beak and a single eye. looks like I may need a few more eggs HFR

18 chukar are pipping.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  9. piglett

piglett Songster

Feb 22, 2012
    1 eye & a scissor beak....are you going to name him "lucky?" [​IMG]

10. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

better than one with scissor beak and a second with one eye.

the chick has been named compost. i dont do special needs poultry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by