Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Any hatch update?????

pop.gif

Just a couple of Bredas hatched so far.

We have pipping in a couple of HFRs Andalusians. The reduction in temps has slowed the hatch down by a day by the look of it - as planned.

One of the mutts from the Christmas hatch that came from OGM has just started laying blue eggs.

As soon as the new coops are finished, she will go into a coop with some other hens and our BCM roo. Maybe we can get some Filipino olive eggers.

Last edited:
i have 2 chicken tractors under way &
got a 8'x8' pen built for the turkeys today
they are glad to have their own digs i'm sure

i think i'll split my britts
my black hens will go with my new chocolate boy
& my blue girls will stay with my splash roo.

Renie says her friend out of state has set the Bresse youngsters to the side for both her & i
i'm just waiting for his email & the box of birds.
that should give us a good chance on having plenty of Bresse eggs to set next spring here
i think you should take some with you at some point to the islands

well bed time for me folks
piggy

Will the little chocolate lad be able to cover the girls or will you have to do artificial insemination?

Bresse are high on my list from you next year

woo hoo! I'm maintaining immigrant status in PI so cool! Does that mean I can visit without a visa or do I have to pay child support?? Lol
lol

I should have thought of child support.

I hope a few more will hatch but the others were pretty silent on a sound check.

I am up to five Andalusions with the previous hatch so that breed is checked off.

Well done HFR

Will the little chocolate lad be able to cover the girls or will you have to do artificial insemination?

Bresse are high on my list from you next year
i have 1 black hen that has always been the runt of the flock but she has large fowl parents
the chocolate roosters not that much smaller than the hens so i think i they are up to the job
maybe i need to get the roo a step stool
yippiechickie.gif

PHOTOS of the last few days (prior to hatch)

The new fence

There will be 44 of these sections from the beach to the road

The new coops. There will be 5 in a row

looking into the bator house

last week's hatch of 2nd generation mutts

The white guineas hanging out

The June hatch outside

The starter flock

So it only took me like a week to catch up and read through the whole thread. Phew. It was exciting and interesting. I'm so glad you have had some success even though it was just a few at times. Looks like a beautiful area and beautiful family. I hope it all works out as you desire it to!

So it only took me like a week to catch up and read through the whole thread. Phew. It was exciting and interesting. I'm so glad you have had some success even though it was just a few at times. Looks like a beautiful area and beautiful family. I hope it all works out as you desire it to!
Thanks for enduring the 300 pages.

Its very much a case of 3 steps forward, 2 steps back but every attempt is successful as we learn and adjust.

With a bit of luck I will add three breeds to the foray this week - Breda, Lemon Cuckoo Oprs and Ameraucanas.

The breeds I have established (5 or more chickens) are Blue Laced Red Wyandottes, Lavender Orps, Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, Andalusians. I inadvertently put unmarked BBS Jersey Giants and BBS Orps in the same basket so I will sort them out when they grow a bit. There are 3 buff orps so I will have to add some.

Its a long hard sloh but it will be worth it.

Sounds like a pretty good start with deck of cards being stacked against you! I only have my tiny backyard flock of 6 since we still live in town but one day hopefully I be able to get to do my own bigger chicken flock and get more diversity.

Back
Top Bottom