Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozexpat, Dec 25, 2012.

1. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

1 person likes this.
  2. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

the trees that grow on the beach - also the most photographed - will often look like that. We also plant 2 or 3 together in the same hole for pretty effects along the beach

We germinate the nut sitting on the surface (under our tank so they get the overflow water) and once the fronds are about 6 feet we dig a hole 4 feet down and bury the nut deep. this gives it the strongest roots and helps keep the surface ground easier to till.
    1 person likes this.
  3. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

14/18=78% hatch

Our best hatch ever in the Philippines!! [​IMG]
    3 people like this.
  4. ChickenFox

ChickenFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    West Virginia
  5. Vindi

Vindi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2013
    Florence, MT
    Just got tothe end been lurking for a while! 3211 posts phew..... Now I have to wait for updates! Can't wait to see what is next to come! I am an ICU RN in Mt, love raising my chicks and other animals! Mine are 5 weeks and on there inaugural day outside today! Keep up the exciting work OZ!
  6. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Another nurse in the fold.

I googled Florence Mt. My goodness - looks amazing from a map.I bet your Rodeo Drive is a little different to the one near here. I lived on a farm in Oz that reminds me of the terrain - sans snow though.

Thanks for stopping by. I am glad you got though the 3211 posts!
  7. Bens-Hens

Bens-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Awesome work, congratulations!

8. piglett

piglett Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    78% is a fine number i would say
    as humid as it is there i am shocked that you even did that well.
  9. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

It shows that given good eggs we can incubate well.

now its a numbers game with shipped eggs to get the breeds I wish for. Just about there though
  10. CrookdBeak13

CrookdBeak13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2013
    Wow! I made it to the end and now can't wait for updates!! You can add one more nurse to the crazy chicken fold! I am an LPN currently in school to obtain my RN and I work in geriatrics! I am also a newbie to the chicken world and have acquired 17!! I am excited to start hatching my own and was inspired to do so reading your adventures!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by