Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Quote: as usual my curiosity got the better of me and I did some looking around on the internet. But every picture I saw of coconut palms show them leaning in some fashion and the fronds being blown back against the direction of the lean.

Then there are the palms that look like they were blown over..... I found an article that describes the fact that they don't usually get blown over the sand is washed out from under them on the waves side. Then the tree collapses a little and the fronts try to grow it up again to the angle it had before. Hence the reason some palms are shaped almost like Js.

deb

as usual my curiosity got the better of me and I did some looking around on the internet. But every picture I saw of coconut palms show them leaning in some fashion and the fronds being blown back against the direction of the lean.

Then there are the palms that look like they were blown over..... I found an article that describes the fact that they don't usually get blown over the sand is washed out from under them on the waves side. Then the tree collapses a little and the fronts try to grow it up again to the angle it had before. Hence the reason some palms are shaped almost like Js.

deb
the trees that grow on the beach - also the most photographed - will often look like that. We also plant 2 or 3 together in the same hole for pretty effects along the beach

We germinate the nut sitting on the surface (under our tank so they get the overflow water) and once the fronds are about 6 feet we dig a hole 4 feet down and bury the nut deep. this gives it the strongest roots and helps keep the surface ground easier to till.

14/18=78% hatch

Our best hatch ever in the Philippines!!
wee.gif

Just got tothe end been lurking for a while! 3211 posts phew..... Now I have to wait for updates! Can't wait to see what is next to come! I am an ICU RN in Mt, love raising my chicks and other animals! Mine are 5 weeks and on there inaugural day outside today! Keep up the exciting work OZ!

Just got tothe end been lurking for a while! 3211 posts phew..... Now I have to wait for updates! Can't wait to see what is next to come! I am an ICU RN in Mt, love raising my chicks and other animals! Mine are 5 weeks and on there inaugural day outside today! Keep up the exciting work OZ!

Another nurse in the fold.

I googled Florence Mt. My goodness - looks amazing from a map.I bet your Rodeo Drive is a little different to the one near here. I lived on a farm in Oz that reminds me of the terrain - sans snow though.

Thanks for stopping by. I am glad you got though the 3211 posts!

78% is a fine number i would say
as humid as it is there i am shocked that you even did that well.

Wow! I made it to the end and now can't wait for updates!! You can add one more nurse to the crazy chicken fold! I am an LPN currently in school to obtain my RN and I work in geriatrics! I am also a newbie to the chicken world and have acquired 17!! I am excited to start hatching my own and was inspired to do so reading your adventures!!

Back
Top Bottom