Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

The poopy chicks look good this morning. No deaths.

We also have this weeks hatch starting one was out 30 minutes after it pipped. Several more have pipped as well.

One of last weeks hatch had spraddled legs but following 24 hrs in a cup was OK - did end up with curled toes on one foot so it now has a orthotic. Bernie is becoming quite the BYCer.

Two of the coops in the 5-coop-row-house-project are completed. The three week old chicks as well as the Guineas and 4 week old chicks hatched from locally laid eggs will move into one of the coops this week as they no longer need a light. The balmy night temps mean that we can off the lights during the day at the end of the second week and at night a week later. They will spend a week indoors settling in before being introduced to their ramp and run.

I plan to put the wyandottes in one coop and the blue egg layers and marans roo in another when I get there.

This may surprise some of you but I was thinking about chickens while I was driving home. The Rhode Island Red, Andalusian and Barred Rock pullets hatched in June will be laying by the end of October and the Orpingtons should kick in by Christmas.

Those 5 coops may not be enough lol.!!!!

Last edited:
There are NEVER enough coops Oz
wink.png
Lol

Some time around Christmas I may have to build a row of grow out pens.
th.gif

Mrs Oz is at the hardware store buying 2 rolls green mesh. Its 3ft wide and 100 ft long.

It works out to be 70 bucks a roll. 50 feet of 3ft wide galv chicken wire is 34 bucks at Lowes.

I am happy as chicken wire would rust in a year in our conditions

OZ what type of heat lamps are you using?
i am very happy with my ohio brooders
i bet Bernie could build you some with a set of plans

Back
Top Bottom