Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozexpat, Dec 25, 2012.

1. OffGridMAMA

OffGridMAMA Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2012
    valley center, CA
    Spent lots of time out with the chicks today...my dad took all the kiddos and I used all that alone time to clean up the coop and observe my beautiful birdies. The grow out pen (medium coop) is full of mostly your and Jill's gifts. Have two just downright gorgeous pairs of Swedish Flower; two pairs of Silver Penciled rocks; one pair mottled houdans; can't sex the Cochins or lavender Americaunas from Jill... awe so many others.... the birthday chicks are huge! Must take pictures tomorrow;) the hrir are looking lovely but not laying? Think I have an egg thief there! Still battling the squirrels :(

But the numbers are getting better, 12 eggs today alone ;)

I did find a local valley center byc'er who will incubate the 10 Turkey eggs I brought home from my moms ... so hoping to have turkeys in 28 days :) lol

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I was wondering how you will fair with humidity and illness there, I hope its simply something they ate and not anything major! I had a droopy winged CCL last week and some runny poo no blood, but I jumped in with amprolium quick enough that no others were effected, I culled the sick one. I have never been able to bring one back that already had the droopy wings and sick appearance so I now remove from flock and cull. This has been a very disgusting summer for a chicken keeper here in PA, my house I swear has mushrooms growing on it! I know I shouldn't complain about rain but my goodness we are NOT set up for this much rain, plus we live right where the mountains level off and get ALL the run off. Not sure why I bothered to spend the cash to keep the pool up and running! Anyways, good luck oz I am sure Bernie has it under control!

2 people like this.
  4. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

i am glad to hear the kids are growing up.

Fingers crossed for the turkeys.

5. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

The younguns are doing ok. No further sick birds. The 2 have not got better yet but they are not getting weaker.

I have been reading about the weather over there - lots of areas are water logged. Clean behind your ears well - you could end up with mushrooms there as well.

Its typhoon season in the Phils. A powerful typhoon ripped through the northern Philippines on Monday, killing at least two in Northern Luzon. That area is a typhoon magnet. We have been OK. just excess rain.

2 people like this.
  6. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Just looking at animated chicken gifs

here is a good avatar if soemone is looking for one

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

[​IMG]

8. bestponymilo

bestponymilo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2007
    It took almost a week, squeezing in few pages here and there, but I did it--all 326 pages!

What an adventure, I'm exhausted [​IMG]

And now I'm dying for a 2 week vacation in the Philippines LOL

1 person likes this.
  9. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

I have seen you here in the "currently viewing" box - congrats on making it.

You are welcome to come on over.

I am hoping to have a "chicken mission" set for next year.I am going to talk to the Lions Club about assisting the logistics.

10. bestponymilo

bestponymilo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2007
    I'm in like Flynn for a chicken mission (especially if there are drinks on the beach after a long day's work).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by