Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozexpat, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Tomtommom

Tomtommom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2013
    Montevallo, AL

What a story.... My goodness, I am glad I have not dealt with any of that.

What gets me EVERY time, is that people don't believe I am an immigrant. It's really a little sad, but in the South, the idea is that all immigrants look latino and speak broken English.

I've done my share of burning hoop jumping, although it was mostly just dealing with the legalese paperwork (I did everything myself, no attorney). The closest I got to being at risk for deportation what when I got married. We wanted to do the whole justice of the peace thing on Halloween, wearing silly costumes. Turns out, it was smack dab in the middle of judge/justice elections and they were all FAR too busy to actually do their job [​IMG]

I got married on November 4th, with only 15 days to spare on my fiancee visa. WAY too close for comfort. I was sick, had a fever.. didn't even bother to wear my dress. Worst wedding ever, atleast we both laughed at it..

We've divorced 6 years later, rather amicably. I was 22 and he just turned 19 when we got married.. Young folks doing stupid things [​IMG] Everything happens for a reason though and I like to think we really helped eachother become the people we are, for better or worse. He's living the bachelor life and I've got kiddo's now (not his), I like to think we both got what we wanted in the end.

2. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

i was "busted" with an undocumented immigrant in my car in PA once. I was just as much an immigrant as him but I was not asked for documentation. The irony at the time was i knew more illegal English and Irish than I did Latino.

3. Sweetpea3829

Sweetpea3829 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Funny enough, when my husband and I took the kids to Niagara Falls, HE was able to cross the border without a hitch! He showed his LPR card and that was that. Me, on the other hand, born in the US, they gave me a heck of a time because I only had my license and birth certificate.

They did let me cross, but they weren't happy about it.

4. piglett

piglett Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    my understanding is that legal immigrant to the US can buy a firearm & get a carry permit if he/she likes
    my wife who is from the Philippines has already been shooting a couple of times
    she found that she could shoot most anything but my 12ga pump shotgun was a bit much for her small size
    i'm thinking a 20 ga pump will better suit her

piglett

5. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

ATF SAYS ITS UP TO THE STATE.

In Cali its a no.

6. piglett

piglett Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    i have never heard anything about that
    it's not on the NH state carry permit form

7. Sweetpea3829

Sweetpea3829 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    I wasn't aware that a legal immigrant could not hold a gun permit either. Huh.

We're still trying to figure out of my husband is now eligible, or ever will be eligible to have a gun permit. He's always wanted to hunt, but never wanted to take the chance of having a weapon (any kind, bow or otherwise) on his person.

Now that he's a citizen, we may pursue those options for him. Still not sure if he can because of the felony weapons possession, even though that was vacated.

Honestly, I don't really care to have a weapon in the house anyways. I have four children...there's just too much risk, imo.

8. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

i think the chipmunk is a brown leghorn

9. Tomtommom

Tomtommom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2013
    Montevallo, AL
    My mom passed away a few months ago, and we considered flying over for the funeral. I tried to pull som strings to get an emergency passport for my fiance. In his 33 years on this planet, he had never gotten one. It's just so odd to me that Americans don't generally have a passport. I've had a passport since I was 12.. then again, I had already been across half of Europe by the time I was 12. The US is so big, a lot of folks simply never need a passport.

In the end, we did not go, for a variety of reasons. But it's one of those things I simply had never considered. We always spoke about the 'what ifs' of my mom passing (although we expected it to be much further down the road), not once did passports come to mind.

Somewhat relevant. Oz. My fiance is wondering if you don't need papers to move all those eggs, or if customs aren't as anal about animal products. I know getting any sort of animal product into the US is near impossible (my mother smuggled me some canned meats once [​IMG])

10. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    [​IMG] Then....... the white chicks are recessive white cream legbars. Wow, I have only had 2/14 white chicks hatch since then.

They are hard to sex at hatch (it is possible when you have seen about 30), but sex is pretty obvious by 5 weeks.

Maybe the whites are better suited to the local environment [​IMG] . They are still crested and lay blue eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by