Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

I've never felt more country. I have never lived more than 20 miles from the hospital where I was born, and the farthest I have traveled is to the west coast (San Diego) with my parents as a teen.

On the other hand, everywhere I go, locally, I either know somebody, or meet people who know my family. I have never failed to find someone to talk "family" with at any event, gathering, or even in line at checkout. Did I mention that the population in this area is over 198,000?

Even casual family gatherings can enjoy attendance of 40 or 50 people......

I, for one can say, I somewhat envy the folks that seem to know everybody. Whenever we have something going on, I have to bring the kids with me. I know absolutely NO ONE. I'm pretty reclusive.
lol.png

My little one has been in the hospital with us a bit too much, he's been to court with us, parent-teacher meetings, dinner... he goes everywhere. We were those horrible people with a baby in nice restaurants (lucky us, he is a happy boy). Oh, those folks that know everyone... always a helping hand, always knowing who to call. Really, it all has it's benefits. I often feel like an odd duck around here, at school parents talk about people they all know and I just stand there. I barely know my neighbors, although one said she loves chickens.
tongue.png

I, for one can say, I somewhat envy the folks that seem to know everybody. Whenever we have something going on, I have to bring the kids with me. I know absolutely NO ONE. I'm pretty reclusive.
lol.png

My little one has been in the hospital with us a bit too much, he's been to court with us, parent-teacher meetings, dinner... he goes everywhere. We were those horrible people with a baby in nice restaurants (lucky us, he is a happy boy). Oh, those folks that know everyone... always a helping hand, always knowing who to call. Really, it all has it's benefits. I often feel like an odd duck around here, at school parents talk about people they all know and I just stand there. I barely know my neighbors, although one said she loves chickens.
tongue.png

This is us...lol. Because we left our home state, in search of cheaper pastures, we do not really know anybody within an hour of us. We're getting to know our neighbors pretty well, and our church family, but for people that we've known for a significant amount of time...well, we have nobody nearby.

Kind of makes it hard to do things without the kids. Ever. Date-night? Yeah...lol. We make do, though...set up a hammock in our backyard, and a firepit, and we have almost weekly date nights after the kids go to bed. And on Sunday mornings, we drop our four kiddos off for sunday school and then instead of hitting the adult class, we head out for breakfast. Ya do what you have to!!!

Quote:
YOu know I have lived in the city most of my live and what YOu describe is Me... I have always only barely known my neighbors. Always been the quiet one that doesnt know any one. Even right now We know the neighbors by name.... have a conversation... but no one invites us over or us them....

Though when I bought my place out in the middle of NOwhere I thought to give it a try to meet and know my neighbors. The one road to and fro for the area I live in serves probably about twenty homes each on over twenty acres. My strategy was to roll down the window in the car as I passed someone I didnt recognize.... and smile. Which always prompts the other person to stop and see if your lost. Then I ask it.... "Are you my neighbor? " They always say "I dont know..." with suspicion in their voice. Then I babble on about how I had just move up there the wheres and whatfors and how much I loved it.... By the end of the conversation I knew more about them and their personalities.... Some were cordial but not too friendly... By the end of the year I had met everyone pretty much. One neighbor told me with a laugh that hed lived there thirty years now and I knew more about the people around him than he did.

Still no one comes to visit I wouldnt recongize them in the grocery store.... But they would recognize me in an emergency and it paid off when a big fire moved through the next valley.

deb

I did a fair amount of travelling in the 80s.
I had an Australian Passport and a British one because my parents were Poms.
The Brit one was great for travelling and living in Europe, and the Aussie one was useful
in countries where the Poms weren't so popular! (Of course everyone loves the Aussies!
I remember crossing Communist East Germany by train and the security police
checking our passports and saying "Australia! Kangaroo! Kangaroo!" and jumping around
the carriage doing roo impressions and making complete fools of themselves!)

xxxxx M

oz I am a 16 year old girl with pink hair and a gold leafed 2000$ semi auto shot gun but I tell you as soon as I pull out my purple .22 the boys at the gun club know better and go back to moping around. I am a gun princess

gold? purple? i better keep you away from my daughter - i can see her now with a cinderella shotgun

Back
Top Bottom