Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozexpat, Dec 25, 2012.

1. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, but there is so much I could say right here.... I think I will just leave it at "I am sure you are correct in that assessment." :oops:

2 people like this.
  2. lindz8504

lindz8504 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Blue Ridge Mtns in NC
    [​IMG]

3. HawgHunter

HawgHunter Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2013
    On page 53....what a great read! Loving it!

4. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Its about time I gave more info on the local chickens in the Philippines

Developed via landrace in the Philippines through crossbreeding of various fowl breeds and strains and the original chicken - the red jungle fowl. The red jungle fowl would often mingle, feed and breed with them as sometimes they would wander into forests looking for food. The is a flighty, hardy bird capable of adapting to local conditions. Due to their mixed heritage, hens occasionally develop spurs like cockerals.
    The Philippine Native Chicken is often used as a fighting bird (one of the few countries where it is legal) though imported breeds have taken over that unfortunate role. In the villages and farmlands, they are more of a utility breed for eggs and meat. Even in this role, they are not ideal as they weigh 4-5lb and produce a mere 50-70 medium eggs per year. They become broody frequently and will set the clutch as soon as they lay 10-12 eggs. The taste of the native chicken is excellent and remains the standard of quality eating chicken in the country.
    Among the identified genetic groups of native chickens in the Philippines are “Banaba” from Batangas, “Bolinao” from Pangasinan, “Camarines” from Bicol, “Paraoakan” from Palawan, and “Darag” from Panay Island.
    There are some efforts to cross and upgrade the Philippine Native Chicken with Cantonese, KABIR from Israel, SASSO, Grimaud Freres chicken from France, and recently the Hubbard JA57 and RedBro Line. These birds resemble some of the American breeds such as the Rhode Island Red. These imported breeds of chicken are distributed throughout the country but only few people have these birds in their backyards. Crosses from these breeds have enhanced the capabilities of the birds for adaptability to local conditions.
    The Kabir is no longer around in its original form but is used as a generic term.The KABIR is not really a breed but a hybrid. The word Kabir means large in Arabic. These multiple cross breeds lay around 150-200 eggs per year and dont often go broody. This quite a contrast to the "manok bisaya" that is the blend of imports brought by traders from all points around the globe to Cebu and native chicken from the Visayas. The Bisaya lays 70-100 eggs per year but often goes broody.
    The "45 day" chickens that can be bought in an agrivet as day old chicks are normally Hubbard JA57 hybrids.

5. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

It has been raining non-stop for over a week now.

I just got a picture from the nearest city - Kabankalan

[​IMG]

The water is just below the bridge - about 30 feet higher than normal.

My wifes family's hacienda is about 600 yds up river and the water will be at the bottom step.

My friend the duck man took a pic on his street last night

[​IMG]

Our new coops yards are under a few inches of water - the bridge over the creek just north of our property is poorly designed and pushes the water onto our place. It has to be pretty remarkable to get that far down though.

6. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

The water receded rapidly - the sandy soil has its advantages and this morning we had no evidence of the problem.

The winds during the storm damaged the old fence on that side. We were planning to take a break on fence building once the current fence run is completed but we will have to move straight onto the other side.

Ah the joys of farming.

7. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Glad everything made it through the storm relatively well!

8. scottcaddy

scottcaddy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

9. scottcaddy

scottcaddy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

As You know the fenceing work NEVER stops does it?

Scott

10. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Indeed.

Humidity, bugs and salt dissolve building materials in our environment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by