Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozexpat, Dec 25, 2012.

1. piglett

piglett Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    that doesn't sound like too bad of a plan Perchie [​IMG]

2. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Holding classes is a great way to "sell" you young roos too

3. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

As our goat population increases and my contemplation on starting up a small scale piggery I started researching all sorts of alternative feeds and came ac cross an amazing site.

http://www.feedipedia.org

This site lists just about every edible plant and tree. It provides nutritional information as well as experiences with feeding them to various animals including poultry.

Its been a real eye opener for me.

Several years ago, when living in the Philippines, one of our sows got out. She was a monster size Great White named Wilma. Our tankal (pig pens) were free standing and we had no way to corral this big girl back into her pen. I was really upset at the thought of having to crash tackle her and then carry her back with half the village helping.

Dante, Bernie's brother, who was building our bamboo fence at the time had sold us the pigs when they were about 1/3 the weight. He saw the commotion and them walked up to a tree locally called Ipil Ipil. Leucaena, as it is formally known turned out to be candy to a pig and Dante led her back into her pen within minutes. It was a revelation but one that I did not act upon at the time. The experience did however replay many a night when I was unwinding from my day and heading towards sleep.

When I came across this site I entered Ipil into the search box. I learnt that its a very fast growing legume with protein content north of 20%. It is not ideal for chickens but can be a major part of a goats diet.

Analou planted 100 seeds this weekend.

We had recently planted 12 Malunggay Trees as well - after reading feedipedia we added 20 more.

Check out trees and shrubs that are available to you.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
    2 people like this.
  4. Lillahimed

Lillahimed Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2013
    Sacramento
    Thanks for the link. It is incredibly insightful [​IMG]

5. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

6. hotrodflash

hotrodflash Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    East Texas
    I have a neighbor who leases the property directly across the road from my property and he feeds poultry litter to his cows in the winter. I listen to them bawl constantly, 24 hours a day for 4 months every year and when they are removed from the leased land to his land, a few miles down the road, they have lost a significant amount of weight, their ribs and hip bones protrude horribly.
    I grew up on a farm, feeding grain and hay in the winter and cows fed correctly will hold their weight well throughout the winter.

Maybe because of my bad experience with this feeding method by this neighbor, I just could not do this to any of my animals. It is quite disturbing to listen to them and know that they are hungry and they are just getting fed crap, literally crap.

7. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

thats sad. i have read several articles about using chicken poop in silage in small proportions that worked very well on ruminants

8. hotrodflash

hotrodflash Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    East Texas
    I think he feeds poultry litter and hay exclusively and not enough of either to satisfy their hunger. We usually have green grass for most of the winter but in the numbers that he has concentrated on that land there is no way they can get enough forage to ease their hunger. It is really sad that a full time "rancher" treats his animals so poorly.

9. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

I read this article and at the bottom it says the Data Sheet still being worked on Do not quote.... But I bet its just details that need to be added.

10. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Where was that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by