Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozexpat, Dec 25, 2012.

1. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

There is a market for those classes Pig

2. piglett

piglett Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    there probably is
    i bet if we were willing to process however many birds a person had & we took say 20% home with us for our pay
    we would probably end up with a freezer full of birds

the only trouble i see is , how far do i wish to drive just for a 1/2 dozen birds???

3. GhislaineDel

GhislaineDel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2012
    New England
    Sounds a bit like my sister-in-law. She's been going through all kinds of things to try to figure out what's going on. She pretty much only eats salad and whipped cream as far as I can tell! Every body tolerates foods differently and we each have to figure out what works best for ourselves. I'm in the "primal" camp with is basically paleo plus dairy (except the baby isn't handling it well when I have milk products (even goat [​IMG]) so I'm trying more to stick to paleo.

I'd offer 1/3 or even 2/3rds but as that's only 1-2 birds I'm pretty sure I'm too far! [​IMG] There's actually a fourth guinea that's been running wild at my parents that they'd be happy to get rid of too . . . if I can catch it! Thanks for telling me about the English Orpington thread. I'll go introduce myself.

4. samidodamage

samidodamage Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2012
    Northeast Georgia
    Here there is a farm that charges $60/person; $100/couple for a 'processing day' class. They use the farm's birds and the students take home one processed bird each. Not sure how long the class is as I haven't taken it yet, but I'm considering it for late winter/early spring 2014. They seem to do it every 3-4 months. That would eliminate your need to travel. Processed birds sell for about $20 each around here and $40 a person (or $30 if DH goes with me) is well worth it in my opinion.

5. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

this is similar to what I had envisaged.

you would be surprised how much people will pay for good lesson

6. piglett

Feb 22, 2012
    1 or 2 birds ....he he he [​IMG]
    i don't think i can drive 3 hours 1 way for so few

7. piglett

Feb 22, 2012
    those sound like good solid numbers to me

once i get my meatbird fencing all up i plan on having 100 or more running around my place

my wife & i could offer a class to people who are interested in our area

8. Tomtommom

Tomtommom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2013
    Montevallo, AL
    Recently they had a class here, I think organized by the ag. extension office. $20 a person, BYOB (bring your own bird). I didn't have a bird to bring and it was a too far away. It really is quite a feasible side source of income. You know we'd spread the word for you [​IMG]

9. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Thank you..... My last horse partner I had all his life.... Half Arab and Half Standardbred. My dressage trainer taught me how to drive while he was being a kid in a pasture..... I broke him to drive and we taught each other. I have had horses now 47 years one at a time. Feel free to pm me and we can compare some notes.... LOL.

deb

10. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by