Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Super Lurker here... finally read through all the pages and I am prepared to make myself known!! Hi all, I'm Michelle
frow.gif

First off, Happy Belated Birthday Oz!! My thoughts go out to your family during this storm. I hope everyone is OK!

Needless to say, I have been drawn in... like that "can't put the book down, just one more page" sort of stuff. Your adventures are amazing and allowing us to ride along with you is even more so! I feel your excitement when the chicks hatch and your sadness when something does not work out-- we're right there with you! Please keep sharing!

A bit about myself... well, my dh and I just bought our "homestead" in the Blue Ridge Mountains. We are excited to start our journey in becoming more self-sufficient. We have 7 mature apple trees and 7 mature peach trees that have been a bit neglected over the years. Some major pruning is in the near future. We also have about 7 "heaps" of grape vines. Something else that needs some attention. The first thing I did when we closed on the property is order my chicks! First time chicken owner here! I won't have any input on the chicken end of things, so I will sit back and learn! Many plans in the future, to include fencing to get my horse on the property. You also got me interested in quail! One project at a time...

You're truly an inspiration, Oz! I don't know what I am going to do now that I am all caught up!!
welcome

now you are all caught up you can join in the discussion.

we love input and suggestions. feel free to ask anything and question everything

i bet there will be lots of poor people building new bamboo huts in the next few days/weeks
while my wife was still in manila a friends house was swept down river ....the whole house
all 6 of them stayed with my wife for a couple days
then they left to go get some building materials so they could start to rebuild
unlike americans having your house destroyed there is just normal
i see people in this country crying on the news about their mcmansion being destroyed
(even thought they has insurance)
in the Philippines you only see them cry when a loved one is killed in a storm
i think they just expect that they will loose their house every so often

my wife is on the phone as i type with her family
lost of wind/rain
but the roof is still on the house
fl.gif

i am very nervous for your wife's family as the center of the storm will pass right over them. i will be thinking of the overnight here

i am very nervous for your wife's family as the center of the storm will pass right over them. i will be thinking of the overnight here

thanks OZ
as long as no one is killed all will be fine
my wife has a stash at one of the local banks (her tip money from the inn)
we may end up cleaning out the account so her family can make repairs
i think the roof for the dirty kitchen out back will be a thing of the past
the front 1/2 of the house is new this year so it "should" stay put .....time will tell

As I have been preparing for this storm, people have been thinking I am a little crazy. Despite the second highest warning level (winds 85-135 mph) and a 1m storm surge, there are not any visible preparedness activity nor warnings issued by the local government. i hope i am over-reacting and no local lives will be lost

Be safe Oz!!!!!! I thought of you immedietly when I heard about the storm. They are saying it's the largest storm ever iin recorded history. Hoping you and your family stay safe. Diane

As I have been preparing for this storm, people have been thinking I am a little crazy. Despite the second highest warning level (winds 85-135 mph) and a 1m storm surge, there are not any visible preparedness activity nor warnings issued by the local government. i hope i am over-reacting and no local lives will be lost
The storm surge is the real danger. Having been in a large city after a hurricane the worst part is the loss of 'conveniences' without electricity absolutely nothing works. If you are self sufficient and hunker down to shelter for the winds and rains and are out of a flood risk area then there is just the cleanup of all the stuff afterwards.

The storm surge is the real danger. Having been in a large city after a hurricane the worst part is the loss of 'conveniences' without electricity absolutely nothing works. If you are self sufficient and hunker down to shelter for the winds and rains and are out of a flood risk area then there is just the cleanup of all the stuff afterwards.
and having said that to be mindful of the wind load the structures you are in and around you will take...

Oz & Piglet, thinking of you and yours and hoping the storm does little damage to your families/properties. That is a scarey sounding storm. I've been through a hurricane, but by the time it got to me, almost 100 miles inland it wasn't too bad....

Capital Weather Gang

Super typhoon Haiyan closes in on Philippines, among strongest storms ever

• BY JASON SAMENOW AND BRIAN MCNOLDY
  • November 7 at 11:58 am

1461780_624520054271903_1498249114_n.jpg

Satellite view of typhoon Haiyan (Colorado State)
3:00 p.m. update (EST): The Joint Typhoon Warning Center has increased its estimate of Haiyan’s maximum sustained winds to 195 mph with gusts to 235 mph. The storm is now within a few hours of landfall in the central Philippines at peak intensity as among the most powerful storms witnessed anywhere in modern times. Widespread destruction, unfortunately, seems inevitable.
Interactive tracking map (click on layers for different information overlays)
From noon:
Less than 12 hours from a devastating impact with the central Philippines (Friday morning local time), Super typhoon Haiyan has strengthened to mind-boggling levels. It is now among the most intense storms to form on the planet in modern records.
1401869_676143355737038_348445040_o1.jpg

Hemispheric view of Haiyan (EUMETSAT Facebook page)
The Joint Typhoon Warning Center (JTWC) estimates maximum sustained winds are 190 mph, a marked increase from even Wednesday, when it reached Category 5 intensity, the top of the scale for tropical cyclones (i.e. hurricanes and typhoons).

Oz are you there with Wife and children right now? Where are you located in point of contact? I will keep reading and see if I can figure it out, praying for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom