Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozexpat, Dec 25, 2012.

1. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

it appears the typhoon skirted below Marily's island. The tourist resort island of boracay was between Sibuyan and the storm and it received little damage

2. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

I am glad your good wife is healing

the pig smell? i would have to ask those who live down wind

seriously - most will be piglets but thats why we will start slowly

the truck - it would be just for local runs - it would cost 80-100 bucks to get 30 pigs to market. no vehicle is the best investment but timing sale of pigs and ability to bring them home if needed adds up. a truck in the phils will be good for 20+ years.

[​IMG]V[​IMG]

Isuzu Elf 10ft tray double wheels

Japanese surplus

$6000

3. piglett

piglett Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    an Isuzu truck like what you have pictured is a good long running truck
    i was looking at both Isuzu & mitzubishi at one point
    the Isuzu doesn't have as good of an engine was the word that i got from a guy who owns a shop that works on big trucks
    the mitz. will run 400,000 miles if you take care of it (that is why they are so loved by jeepney owners)
    i ended up buying a smaller toyota instead but i do like those Japanese cabovers

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  4. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

i could always get one of these

[​IMG]

12 inch tires 850cc 3 cylinder engine

1 person likes this.
  5. piglett

Feb 22, 2012
    that is what Marily & i want to get for her dad in the province
    there is a guy north on manila who always has a bunch for sale
    last time i was there we went for a little ride in one
    i would get the one that is 4x4 & has a low range
    some are just set up for the highway, some are more set up to be worked
    i would go with good meaty tires but not oversized tires

they also have some with a longer body on the back

6. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

they are an ideal utility vehicle in the phils. they run 3000 reconditioned

i would not fit in it though

how are the chooks laying pig?

7. piglett

Feb 22, 2012
    i am 5'10" & i fit in the cab no problem , & i tip the scale at about 200lbs so i'm not all that small
    your built more like my "little" brother
    6'4" 340 lbs

the silkies are on the case
    nothing yet from the orps :(
    i added a 5 gallon free choice feeder for the orps
    i plan to keep it full at all times
    i am also giving them fermented feed which they love during the day
    i also got them a bag of scratch so they will get some of that each day till it is gone
    their new feathers sure do look nice
    so i think eggs will arrive soon

1 person likes this.
  8. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

After 3 days we have power back on.

80 eggs incubating and 2 chicks were our only losses.

All of my wife's family is ok - as with Bernie's.

Its back to work on the fence. Cement prices will no doubt double for the next week until the government puts a stop to gouging and sets ceilings on building supply prices. I had 50 sacks delivered before the storm.

Five islands were hit hard by the typhoon. Lyete and Samar are the ones making headlines because they were decimated. Cebu got it next. The poultry industry lost about 20% of its laying hens. The devastation on the North of our island and Panay to our west is also pretty horrific. A huge percentage of the country's sugar cane industry was wiped out and rice plantations ruined. Apart from the human loss, the economic damage is staggering and will impact many low income people as they wont have work.

I have been pm'd regarding the way to send a donation in a way that it will get to the needy:

the philippine red cross is my choice. they accept paypal and credit cards. 1000 pesos is $23.74

http://ushare.redcross.org.ph/

the following are some other suggestions

https://app.etapestry.com/onlineforms/ShelterBoxUSAInc/PhilippinesTyphoon.html

http://www.give2habitat.org/philippines/ReBuildPhilippines

http://donate.unicef.ph/campaign/24/typhoon-yolanda-emergency-appeal

1 person likes this.
  9. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

And the next typhoon is on its way....

Zoraida, the 26th named storm of the year

MANILA – A new tropical cyclone continues to approach parts of Visayas and Mindanao, threatening areas still reeling from the devastation brought by super typhoon "Yolanda," state weather bureau PAGASA said.
    PAGASA said as of 10 a.m., the tropical depression, locally named "Zoraida," was spotted 830 kilometers southeast of Hinatuan, Surigao Del Sur.
    Due to the new weather disturbance, Siquijor, Southern Cebu, Bohol, Negros Oriental, Southern Negros Occidental, Dinagat Island, Siargao Island, Agusan del Norte, Agusan del Sur, Surigao del Norte, Surigao del Sur, Davao Oriental, Davao del Norte, Samal Island, Bukidnon, Misamis Oriental, and Camiguin Island have been placed under public storm warning signal number 1.
    Areas under signal no. 1 should experience 30 to 60 kph winds may be expected in at least 36 hours.
    Forecast to move west northwest at 30 kph, Zoraida is expected to be 160 kms east southeast of Hinatuan, Surigao del Sur by Tuesday morning; 130 kms west of Iloilo City by Wednesday morning; and outside the Philippine Area of Responsibility (PAR) on Thursday morning.
    PAGASA said an estimated rainfall amount of 5 - 15 millimeters per hour (moderate - heavy) will be felt within the tropical depression's 300-km diameter.

This one should be just a kitten

10. LFchixranch

LFchixranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2013
    South Central PA
    this isn't aquaponics, although I'm sure you could tie it into the works, but a friend down in Florida does it and works pretty well. It is gardening in buckets and other containers which require less dirt and water. https://www.facebook.com/groups/144745362329424/ There is also a YouTube video on it, . Edited to add there is also one on using grow bags like the cloth shopping bags or bags made from landscaping cloth, ( there might be a phil industry there making them)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by