Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozexpat, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

2. Rockashelle

Rockashelle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Snohomish, WA

:D Good times!

3. hillfloweranch

hillfloweranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    Hey Oz...baby pekins hopefully soon...just wanted to share cuz this will be you! out of 6 eggs - 4 viable. this is egg #3 I think, anyway just had to share.

4. Noncentzter

Noncentzter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2009
    Southern Oregon Coast
    Found today and just finished this thread and so excited for your journey!

We have an asian daughter that we adopted over 21 years ago...she's a keeper!

Our oldest daughter lived in the Philippines for six weeks working with a kids missionary program. She loved it there!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  5. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Yes they have tap roots.

Decomposition is very rapid. The humidity and heat all year around provide an perfect environment. We get all sorts of bugs, termites and worms that assist. Any land that is not taken care of will rapidly return to jungle.

Fish farming provides a decent part of the agriculture on our island. I do not have the land for it. I would need 30 acres with an adjacent tidal stream.

Great thoughts - keep asking questions!

6. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Do you know where in the Philippines she was housed? We get a few missionaries in our area. Lots a people come for medical missions. We also have a strong baptist stronghold in a very catholic country. We even get the short sleeved, white shirted, guys from Utah making the rounds. Its great that both faith based and NGO groups are willing to donate their resources.

7. 3Dchicken

3Dchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    LOL I love Ted Talks! :D

8. Bulldogma

Bulldogma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    SW Virginia
    My Coop
    Oz - your coop (and your chicks) are looking fantastic! The chicks have a nice bit of room to spread out and play there, don't they? And the little chick roosts are wonderful! I'd love to have some just like that... but alas - I don't have a gardener or cheap labor... ... ... or the talent and know-how to do that myself - LOL!

I'll just live vicariously through your adventures, and perhaps some day I'll save up enough to come be a guest and stay in your coop. [​IMG]

Oh - and the rice hulls look like they'll be just perfect!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  9. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

This was not meant to sound boastful. It was meant to read that though they are my ideas, I cannot take credit for how great it is looking. Bernie is awesome and takes pride in his work. He is very much appreciated.

If I did it all myself 1. it would take forever to get done 2. when it did - it would look shabby 3 I am not there to maintain it 4. as we employ Bernie and Analou and give them a more than standard, living wage, we are helping them and their whole family.

I am blessed with having the opportunity to live this adventure.

1 person likes this.
  10. LFchixranch

LFchixranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2013
    South Central PA
    We need more good peeps like you in the world. I find it amazing how one persons thoughts and desires to have chickens can drive ones self to achive so much to affect others. What you are working on is truely amazing, 'Oz [​IMG]. You rock bud

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by