Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

completely off topic....

For the cerebral types out there...

Do you ever watch or listen to the talks on TED.org? They are 5-20 minute talks on anything from social issues to applications astro-physics to photography ind its inspirations.

I get an email each week with a new talk. This mornings was on Fibonacci Numbers by a guy called Arthur Benjamin. His previous talk was called Magemathics. I watched him perform the square of a 5 digit number in his head. I can calculate the square of a 3 digit number with a lot of groaning but this guy can do it faster than audience participants with a calculator.

Sensational
Wow My son just rattled them off to me 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21... ""In mathematical terms, the sequence Fn of Fibonacci numbers is defined by the recurrence relation
0cebc512d9a3ac497eda6f10203f792e.png
with seed values[3]
a92c5f0981136ba333124cdfe6d3c3ce.png
""

They are also found in natural objects like flowers and The pattern in a Nautilus shell. The first writings about them were in Sanskrit....

Wikipedia article on it the above quote is from that article

I cannot imagine being able to do any of it in my head.....

I do watch the Ted Talks occasionally but right now my sound has gremlins in it... Pretty interesting stuff...

deb

completely off topic....

For the cerebral types out there...

Do you ever watch or listen to the talks on TED.org? They are 5-20 minute talks on anything from social issues to applications astro-physics to photography ind its inspirations. 

I get an email each week with a new talk. This mornings was on Fibonacci Numbers by a guy called Arthur Benjamin. His previous talk was called Magemathics. I watched him perform the square of a 5 digit number in his head. I can calculate the square of a 3 digit number with a lot of groaning but this guy can do it faster than audience participants with a calculator.

Sensational

Yes. My husband and I love them!

I am so happy to hear everyone's alright. I saw the news and immediately thought of you all with family over in PI. It's been a while since I could check the thread so I was worried. Did a quick read to catch up and was relieved to see it didn't hit you guys too badly.

I am so happy to hear everyone's alright. I saw the news and immediately thought of you all with family over in PI. It's been a while since I could check the thread so I was worried. Did a quick read to catch up and was relieved to see it didn't hit you guys too badly.
thanks for checking in. as communications get back up I am sure we are going to see some pretty sad stories but it was not our turn.

great username btw - provided you dont get your mords wixed
hide.gif

its hard to believe that just 150 miles from my home in the Philippines there are more than ten thousand dead from that devastating storm.

it had the force of a type 3 tornado but instead of being 1 mile across it was 300

the storm surge was like a tsunami, many stories high

how could a country with such limited resources prepare for such calamity

7529F5B3-F23D-47F7-8C53-7666BB600CE3_w640_r1_s.jpg

I have to say, losing communication with Bernie and Analou was stressful. I knew that they should have been OK as the storm had passed but I did not find that overly reassuring. I cant imaging having family in the areas that were hit hard and are still without communication.

The coops held up and are drying out. Yesterday was one of those days where the sun shines brightly through air that is perfectly clear. We had just over 80 locally hatched eggs in the incubator but now have been without power for 36 hours. I was hoping to use those chicks to teach bernie some vaccination techniques. If we get power back on today, there may be time to hatch a small batch before I have to return from my pending trip.

The goats are doing fine. I am in contact with a German guy on the other side of the island that owns 250 dairy goats. He invited me to tour his cheese making process while we are over there selling our copra. I now have two options on the island for sourcing dairy goat stock.

Pigletts 1, 2 & 3 have settled in. We are spending this week transitioning them from the store bought premix feed to the cocobeach blend. They were wormed yesterday. I will be laying out their new quarters when I get there. We will be buying 3 more each 8 weeks till we have 12. That should give us three farrowing sows at a time and hopefully 30+ pigletts. We will probably sell 20 as weaners and finish the others to assess the differential in work load, logistics and profitability. Having 90-120 pigs at varying stages of growth may be too much. If we decide to take the farrow to finish path, I will need an outlay of 4-7 thousand dollars for a 5 ton truck. Bernie has never driven a car so there is another logistical issue,

As there is no real industry on our island that use them, IBC 250 gallon containers run close to 250 dollars a piece and are one cubic meter. Ideally I would use four Thats too pricey.

I could build a concrete pond 4 cubic meters in volume with a 6 sq meter elevated grow bed would use 2 cubic meters of concrete

quant desc $ Tot $
20 cement 7 280
36 rebar 1.5 54
2 sand/gravel 5 10
12 days labor 7 84

By the time I add the pump and plumbing, a 1000 gallon fish tank with a 60 sq ft hydroponic garden will set us back $600. A reasonable price for next year's project. My tomatoes will have to wait.

If everything implements successfully and all our young fruit trees develop, We will have a pretty small grocery bill.

If only domesticated bees would survive the salt and wet seasons.......

no word from Sibuyan i'm guessing the cell towers are not working at the monent
Marily is healing up, pain level is down to about a 2

now about those pigs OZ
1st what will 120 pigs smell like?
i think i would go for about 1/2 that # & see how things work
as far as a 5 ton truck goes
i used own a tractor trailer & i had to lay out $25,000 to maintain the truck & trailer
now granted i would drive 100,000 miles a year but my point is
large trucks require large outlays of cash at times to keep them up & running
around here 4 new tires on the back of a dump truck will set you back about $2,000

i think i would find a local guy who already owned a truck that would do the job
give the guy a free pig & maybe buy some fuel for him
much cheeper than owning a heavy truck

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom