Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

I have an EE, black sex link, light brahma and BO in the laying coop. Lavender orps, buff laced brahmas, red sex links, BOs, BCMs and silkies in the bators. Getting some RLW chicks in 2 wks.

i think we need pictures CB's
ya.gif

Holey Mackeral

I have 6 hours sleep and the place gets busy.

Welcom new people. Its great to have you along. I am impressed that you could wade through our trials and tribulations.

The tomato is a local. I love it and what it represents.

The Merkan tomatoes are 8-10" tall and doing well. Analou just planted and tossed the packaging so I have no idea what they are. They are from some seeds i bought in 2012.

We have 2 more varieties with labels werer planted 2 weeks ago and have sprouted while another six varieties were sown yesterday.

Local string beans and bitter squash are flowering,

Two varieties of okra - Texas Loghorn and Red Velvet have germinated,

Kale, Mustard Greens, Swiss Chard and Romain Lettuce are all flourishing.

Sweet corn, Anaheim peppers and baby bush lima beans are also up.

Today we will fill saved toilet roll cardboard cylinders with compost mix and plant giant lima beans, water melon, canteloupe, jamaican kalabasa squash, butternut squash, and cucumber seeds. The toilet rolls are great to start seeds that dont like transplanting as you can frop the whole container in the ground and not disturb the roots.

I can see my trip at the end of May being full of locally grown produce.

Last edited:
I kept seeing this thread in my wanderings around BYC and thought I would check it out. I haven't really read any of it, someone was referred here because of ants in an incubator and I thought, ok I keep seeing this so I guess I'll wander over there and take a peek. 641 pages is a lot to get through but from what someone else said, it might be worth trying to catch up on. A little at a time as I'm trying to not spend soooo much time on BYC... I actually do have a life that I need to participate in.
hide.gif

Hey Oz take some of those lima beans and wrap them flat in paper towels stick em in a plastic bag with the top open. The put enough water in to get the towels wet. And watch those beans grow. its a great experiment for the Kiddos. You can plant em in dirt later. Situate the paper towels so the leaves can work their way up and out of the pouch.

I remember doing that as a kid and was sooo excited to see it grow.

deb

Hey Oz take some of those lima beans and wrap them flat in paper towels stick em in a plastic bag with the top open. The put enough water in to get the towels wet. And watch those beans grow. its a great experiment for the Kiddos. You can plant em in dirt later. Situate the paper towels so the leaves can work their way up and out of the pouch.

I remember doing that as a kid and was sooo excited to see it grow.

deb
great idea

thanks. the kids will love it

Our kids go to a preschool in Bacolod.

Antonia had her exams last week - a three year old with exams?? serious stuff. She ended up doing very well.

One question she got was a multi choice asking which animal you shoult not touch.

She selected the dog and got it wrong as she is told not to approach strange dogs and at Manila zoo, she got to touch a baby crocodile.

Its all a matter of perspective lol

I love it! Re: the dog and the crocodile. Yes, it is a matter of perspective. I find that especially when working with children and the elderly, some of their odd ball answers to simple questions aren't as odd, when you get inside their heads.

I love it! Re: the dog and the crocodile. Yes, it is a matter of perspective. I find that especially when working with children and the elderly, some of their odd ball answers to simple questions aren't as odd, when you get inside their heads.

Back
Top Bottom