Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Quote:
goodpost.gif

The flight schedule to and from the Philippines works for me. The flight leaves LA in the evening so I can work that day. It arrives in the very early morning in Manila and I get to see my family by 1030 am. It's 21 hours from 1st planes door closing to the second one opening.

The trip back is 19 hours but yes it's much harder. It gets in at 7pm so I can work the next day.

As a frequent flier I get upgrade certificates as well as use my miles to get into business class on most flights. I fly on days when loads are light so should I be relegated to cattle class I can normally get a row.

The inflight entertainment is mediocre. They have a play list of 80 movies but 60 of them don't change. The others are on for three or four months but three or four are changed monthly.

There is 110v outlets between the seats so I have a full charge on my laptop and try to put a TV series or movies on it. I also have a couple of hundred TED talks on my laptop that are ten to twenty minutes each.

The things I treasure the most about my FF status is the use of the lounge and the extra luggage allowance. I use both to their full potential.

Flying is magical the first few times, or rather, the first few hours. Flying low enough to see the country side is great. Once you hit the ocean even the view can't save you
lol.png
Doesn't help if you fly with one of those companies that changes their on board programming once a month and you fly twice within the same month. Across the Atlantic got old fast, I can imagine your flights are that much worse.

My legs are done by the end of it.

I'm sure the flights going to the US are worse, since you're not particularly excited to leave the family behind.
try going from the northeast to the Philippines

24 hours of fun times ;)

Well, if you go through the trouble of flying all the way here, I think I might consider washing my hands and whipping up a nice steak. Once we get the first nightfrosts I can serve it with homegrown parsnip purée.

topdycke, ttmom, the Finnish chickens would probably do fine there, we had a month of +30C weather this summer (exceptional for us) and they didn't show any problems, I think they would adapt pretty nicely to a warmer climate too. Setting Oz up with eggs would be no problem, but I don't think he's interested in what is basically a mutt landrace, especially as he already has Swedish Flower hens (I think) which are pretty similar, but slightly larger. I do like our Alho's though, they seem pretty hardy. It will be interesting to see how they manage the winter.

Last edited:
If we had a black landrace, I'd go with Finnish Tar chicken. For the multicolored ones, how does "Santa's Little Helpers" sound? Or "Arctic Rainbow"?

Here are our three Finnish Alho landraces, Veera, Viiru and Virpi.

Speaking of landraces. A friend of mine has Huastecs.. my, those are interesting. After looking into the South American ancient 'breeds' I think I have some more to add to the chicken wishlist... you know, for when I have land somewhere
tongue.png
Colloncas are somewhat of 'the original Ameraucana'... gorgeous blue eggs. And they're very self-sufficient birds. Hers disappear at times, only to come wandering out of the brush a month later with a bunch of chicks
lol.png

Cute squat things. Not very dual purpose though, they don't get but about 3-4 lbs.

Back
Top Bottom