Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

i need @perchie.girl input

sometimes in eves she been helping others on the incu thread, but my puter being wacked I cant open new tabs, been helping in emails and now I am stuck. grrr heading to bed, trying again in morning. too much online time I guess

Quote:
use an acme screw thread to drive the turner Weight is not an issue then.

determine how long stroke needs to be Then you can push and pull one tray linked to the others There are what looks like hexagon nuts that have the same thread. You can weld the nut to a pin that goes through a slot on the tray... The travel of the tray will arch the slot will allow the pin to push up and down with out having to arch. Now you can use a gear on the end to drive it with any motor you deem powerful enough. small link drive chain is what I am used to using. but you can get more complex if you want like a 90 degree drive assembly...

Or it could be just a geared low motor attached shaft to shaft with a simple shaft coupling.

Acme nuts or pillow blocks also come in a wide variety...

here is my starting place
http://www.mcmaster.com/#

http://www.mcmaster.com/#precision-acme-lead-screws/=zrrxs3 and yes they have stainless Note the drive ratio so many turns to travel so many inches. Bottom of the page

The nuts are flange nuts with mounting holes on the end. Mount a square plate with a through hole for the screw and welded to that plate the pin. The square plate is to keep the nut from rotating in relation to the mechanism. the screw does the turning as the screw turns the nut travels up or travlels down.

this is a starting place you can shop around for price.... Mc Master has been mail order for ever.

Oh and you will need mounting blocks for each end of the Threaded rod with Bronze bushings. Bronze is self lubricating or if you want you can buy oil impregnated bushings All are good in marine environments.

Once you know what you want to do let me know and I will draw it up for you.

deb

dont want to edit what I said... but there are other ways to move those trays.

Big gear with a cam that relys on the weight of the tray oval shaped smallest point lets the tray down to its lowest widest point of the oval allows the tray to its highest. The action will be continuous no reversal... can be Chain gear large diameter for the drive with cam added. small diameter to be run by the motor. You have to rely on the gearing in order to get the timing right. As well as the speed of the motor.

Again Pin into slot for differences in motion of the trays. The tray will arc up and down

deb

sorry if I am not Johnny on the spot... I am Doing NANOWRIMO this month

National Novel Writing Month. Its a contest... 50,000 words in 30 days

So far in the past ten days I have written more than 20,000 words

the contest is with yourself... NO money just a Tshirt. I am using it to Write a Prequel to my other book.

deb

A head hunter just called me with a job in West Texas. They dont give away much info initially so you dont go around them but its probably in San Angelo. 

Well, what are you waiting for? That's only 1.5 hours from me! San Angelo is gorgeous! Okay, I may be stretching the truth there. But it is very brown and dry and boring.

so @perchie.girl

Work your magic on this (once you finish your book and are bored)

Each shelf will be 37 inches long, 25 inches wide (capacity is 288 eggs on 6 12x12 trays)
The shelves will be 1.5x1.5x0.125 aluminum angle bar, pop riveted.
two pieces of angle bar will also run down the middle. Length wise to support the tray. The 1.375” internal lip of the angle bar will support the feet of the egg trays
A woven aluminum grill will be inside each shelf to ensure all size trays will have somewhere to rest.

The trays will attach to a 1” upright square bar that will run from floor to ceiling on either side of the bator. The actuator shaft will attach to the top shelf through the central bar.
We will use 2” x ¼” stainless machine screw with ¼” nylon spacers to attach all shelves except at the turner actuator

There will be four trays, 12” apart, joined by 1x0.125” flat bar- one on each side so they travel in unison

The bottom tray, when flat, will be 18” from the floor of the bator and the top shelf will be 18” from the top of the bator.

The actuator is designed so that when it is powered, it turns 90 degrees and remains in that position until the power is cut. It has a high powered spring that will slowly return the device to the no power position. A pin will be used to stop the trays at level when powered off and trays begin traveling back to the no-power position. Once the pin is removed, the trays will continue their path. External limit switches are not required.

The heat source will be 2 x 250w ceramic heaters with cowlings to direct airflow through the fins from 4” 220v case fans. There will be a cutoff at 45C on each heater should the fans fail so they don’t get super-hot and cause a fire. The “egg area” of the bator will have a 46.5” x 26.25” floor plan. Its height will be 72” internally. The heating area will be at the rear. Air will enter from the upper 12” of the rear of the bator, into to square ducts 6.5” x 6.5” housing a 6” 110v duct fan. With the heat source and fan in the column. The areas not used for airflow will be isolated from the bator. There will be 2 6x14” vents at the lower 16” of the rear of the bator for the heated air to circulate. Lower vents will have adjustable diffusers.

With a 4” kick plate, and using ¾“ marine ply, the total dimensions will be 79 inches tall, 48” wide and 36” deep.
There will be a 2” vent above the duct fan to draw in fresh air in each duct shaft.
Prior to installation of turner, the internal surfaces of the plywood will be coated with a thin scrape of non-toxic 2 part marine epoxy and painted with a water based enamel to create a waterproof, cleanable surface.
Exterior will be painted with a water base enamel.
Piano hinges will be used on doors and two steamer trunk catches on the doors.
SHOPPING LIST

Electronics.
2 x 110v 5 watt LED “fridge light” on a limit switch
2 x 110v light recepticals.
2 x 220CFM 6” vent fans
1 STC 1000 as thermostat
1 STC 1000 as hi tem alarm
1 power failure alarm for power loss
1 110v 120dB siren for overheat alarm
1 110v timer with 12-24 available programs per day
1 momentary on 110v switch to manually control power to actuator
1 110v limit switch
Green LED pilot light for Power on
Yellow LED pilot light for power to actuator
Red LED pilot light for power heat
1 8 foot 14g power cord.

Aluminum Bar:
12 ea 1.5x1.5x0.125” Angle Bar 37” long
6 ea 1.5x1.5x0.125” Angle Bar 25” long
2 ea 1x1” Square Bar 72” Long
2 ea 1x0.125” Flat bar 37” long

Hardware:
7 ea 2x1/4” ss machine screws
14 ss ¼” washers
14 ¼”x ¼” nylon bushings
100 1/8” x ½” aluminum rivets
3 x 1/8 double ended drill bits
2 x ¼” drill bits
HackSaw blade
½” x 3”round shaft stock with 1x6” plate welded to attach controlling shelf
2 ea 6” brass piano hinge
2 x Trunk catches
1 x brass barrel bolt
2ea 6x12” register diffusers
6 ea ¾’ marine ply
2 liters Marine Epoxy – non toxic
Water based Enamel paint - white for inside, 70s color for outside
label maker tape

so @perchie.girl

Work your magic on this (once you finish your book and are bored)

Each shelf will be 37 inches long, 25 inches wide (capacity is 288 eggs on 6 12x12 trays)
The shelves will be 1.5x1.5x0.125 aluminum angle bar, pop riveted.
two pieces of angle bar will also run down the middle. Length wise to support the tray. The 1.375” internal lip of the angle bar will support the feet of the egg trays
A woven aluminum grill will be inside each shelf to ensure all size trays will have somewhere to rest.

The trays will attach to a 1” upright square bar that will run from floor to ceiling on either side of the bator. The actuator shaft will attach to the top shelf through the central bar.
We will use 2” x ¼” stainless machine screw with ¼” nylon spacers to attach all shelves except at the turner actuator

There will be four trays, 12” apart, joined by 1x0.125” flat bar- one on each side so they travel in unison

The bottom tray, when flat, will be 18” from the floor of the bator and the top shelf will be 18” from the top of the bator.

The actuator is designed so that when it is powered, it turns 90 degrees and remains in that position until the power is cut. It has a high powered spring that will slowly return the device to the no power position. A pin will be used to stop the trays at level when powered off and trays begin traveling back to the no-power position. Once the pin is removed, the trays will continue their path. External limit switches are not required.

The heat source will be 2 x 250w ceramic heaters with cowlings to direct airflow through the fins from 4” 220v case fans. There will be a cutoff at 45C on each heater should the fans fail so they don’t get super-hot and cause a fire. The “egg area” of the bator will have a 46.5” x 26.25” floor plan. Its height will be 72” internally. The heating area will be at the rear. Air will enter from the upper 12” of the rear of the bator, into to square ducts 6.5” x 6.5” housing a 6” 110v duct fan. With the heat source and fan in the column. The areas not used for airflow will be isolated from the bator. There will be 2 6x14” vents at the lower 16” of the rear of the bator for the heated air to circulate. Lower vents will have adjustable diffusers.

With a 4” kick plate, and using ¾“ marine ply, the total dimensions will be 79 inches tall, 48” wide and 36” deep.
There will be a 2” vent above the duct fan to draw in fresh air in each duct shaft.
Prior to installation of turner, the internal surfaces of the plywood will be coated with a thin scrape of non-toxic 2 part marine epoxy and painted with a water based enamel to create a waterproof, cleanable surface.
Exterior will be painted with a water base enamel.
Piano hinges will be used on doors and two steamer trunk catches on the doors.
SHOPPING LIST

Electronics.
2 x 110v 5 watt LED “fridge light” on a limit switch
2 x 110v light recepticals.
2 x 220CFM 6” vent fans
1 STC 1000 as thermostat
1 STC 1000 as hi tem alarm
1 power failure alarm for power loss
1 110v 120dB siren for overheat alarm
1 110v timer with 12-24 available programs per day
1 momentary on 110v switch to manually control power to actuator
1 110v limit switch