Getting the Sportsman Ready...tips, tricks, advice???

Perhaps they are extras if you want to hatch quail or something small like that if you are reffering to those rows of wire in your turner photos, i never seen any like those i figured they were something new as i was only offered the option of paper or plastic racks to go in the turner when i got my GOF back in 2008

They must be new, and I wasn't offered paper or plastic, they came with these wire mesh dividers and that was that. I think KKB said he got these a well and he just got his last year.

My GOF incubators have wire racks secure inside i could not take them out, my plastic trays slide right into them, now my hatcher has removable trays and it has a place to install a turner. but i would have to buy a kit for that.

Last edited:
I am confused! I went back and looked at my paperwork and it clearly says 36 goose eggs, but the picture shows 3 rows in each rack, not 4. Should I have only used 3 of those dividers and is the 4th intended to be an extra or are all 4 supposed to be used, which would make it a 48 egg rack? KKB please keep me informed on the bucket reservoir, if it doesn't work and you still need to refill everyday I am not gonna bother getting it, I'll be in that bator once a day to turn eggs so I can refill daily if I have to, it just seemed like a nice option to not have to dump water everyday.

Confusion seems to be on the menu today. When I ordered my GQF I got three of the large metal racks and six of the blue plastic chicken trays, I just now ordered and got the six plastic green large egg trays. I have seen the paper option, but they harbor bacteria so I didn't order them.

You put your metal trays together correctly, I put mine together the same way and they will hold 12 pea eggs in each row, but if you only put 11 in each row then you can roll them over without picking each egg up.

I am still scratching my head over Zaz and her water problem. The reservoir holds about a gallon of water and will last a couple of days. The sponges are meant to be installed to raise the humidity during hatching and should not be needed while just incubating. My humidity stays up there around 55 to 60% without them. I just can not understand how if the gallon will last me a couple of days how five gallons won't last for a day for Zaz in a higher humidity part of the country. Maybe the towels are wicking the water out of the tank.
idunno.gif

We are cleaning up the Sportsman today getting ready for setting Easter chicks tomorrow.

Easter Eggers, Olive Eggers, and BOMs (BCM X Exhibition Buff Orps)

BCM eggs

Confusion seems to be on the menu today. When I ordered my GQF I got three of the large metal racks and six of the blue plastic chicken trays, I just now ordered and got the six plastic green large egg trays. I have seen the paper option, but they harbor bacteria so I didn't order them.

You put your metal trays together correctly, I put mine together the same way and they will hold 12 pea eggs in each row, but if you only put 11 in each row then you can roll them over without picking each egg up.

I am still scratching my head over Zaz and her water problem. The reservoir holds about a gallon of water and will last a couple of days. The sponges are meant to be installed to raise the humidity during hatching and should not be needed while just incubating. My humidity stays up there around 55 to 60% without them. I just can not understand how if the gallon will last me a couple of days how five gallons won't last for a day for Zaz in a higher humidity part of the country. Maybe the towels are wicking the water out of the tank.
idunno.gif

We are cleaning up the Sportsman today getting ready for setting Easter chicks tomorrow.

Easter Eggers, Olive Eggers, and BOMs (BCM X Exhibition Buff Orps)

BCM eggs

Those are nice looking eggs!
droolin.gif
Are they from your chickens?

That water reservoir thing has me scratching my head as well. Thanks for the tip about setting 11 per row, I will be doing that.

Yes, those are our eggs.
cool.png
We have been culling out the hens that don't lay dark eggs and do not meet the SOP.

We set two dozen eggs about ten days ago that DW bought from another BYC member to bring in some fresh blood to our line.

Well, I give up trying to post a pic. Something is wrong with either the site of my computer.

Those are nice looking eggs!
droolin.gif
Are they from your chickens?

That water reservoir thing has me scratching my head as well. Thanks for the tip about setting 11 per row, I will be doing that.

x2 on the good looking eggs! As for the reservoir, I am envious of all of you. Is it possible that Zaz is running hers with more ventilation ports open somehow? I sure wish I had one of those... I'm not doing well at all with my Genesis, and it used to do well for me
he.gif
(I still think it's a bacterial problem, but I'm testing it out with another 'bator now....)

One more time before have a tantrum. Well two out of three is the best I can do.

This is the Hatch Craft incubator and hatcher. The best part is the digital control on the side.

Yes, that is an observation hive sitting on top, I am trying to save a special queen, the colony mostly died but so far she is still alive.

One more time before have a tantrum. Well two out of three is the best I can do.

This is the Hatch Craft incubator and hatcher. The best part is the digital control on the side.

Yes, that is an observation hive sitting on top, I am trying to save a special queen, the colony mostly died but so far she is still alive.

Your incubators are so close to the wall, its better to move them a little bit to let some air comes in the incubators.

Have a look at this, its written originally for emu eggs, but its the same for all kinds of eggs:

x2 on the good looking eggs! As for the reservoir, I am envious of all of you. Is it possible that Zaz is running hers with more ventilation ports open somehow? I sure wish I had one of those... I'm not doing well at all with my Genesis, and it used to do well for me
he.gif
(I still think it's a bacterial problem, but I'm testing it out with another 'bator now....)

How old is your genesis and have you hatched in it? I read lots and lots of reviews and it seems styro bators have a useful life span of about 4-5 years before they start to have problems. My genesis will be 3 this year and so far it has done great, but I never allowed any eggs to hatch in it either, they went in a separate hatcher for that. I was debating getting another genesis because it worked so well for me, but they have "0" resale value, unlike the cabinet bators and that is the main reason I got the sportsman. My genesis ran for 3 months straight the last 2 summers, I'm hoping if I use it only for hatching I can extend that useful lifespan and have a hatcher for many years to come. Probably a dumb question, but have you bleached all the "bleachable" parts good?
I don't know about Zaz ventilating hers, but being that she is in a humid area, she should see the water evaporate at a slower rate, I would think.

Your incubators are so close to the wall, its better to move them a little bit to let some air comes in the incubators.

Have a look at this, its written originally for emu eggs, but its the same for all kinds of eggs:

Q8, you have a keen eye and a sharp mind! After sterilizing and replacing the rubber feet on the bottom of the top unit, it did get pushed back further than it should be! I shall address that ASAP. Glad I posted that picture, I may have gone through some losses before I figured it out, (again).

Back
Top Bottom