Getting worse…treatment for impacted crop, lethargy

Nutridrench contains thiamine mononitrate(b1) in the ingredients list, so I wouldn't use that while treating for coccidiosis. I would use the molasses flush that @Wyorp Rock recommended. Have you started the corid treatment yet? You may want to drench dose her, instead of mixing it in with the water, like you do with the rest of the flock. That way, you know she's getting enough. I use the corid powder, so I don't know liquid drench dose off the top of my head. I'll see if I can find it in my bookmarks. I just lost my rooster and one hen from a coccidiosis outbreak, so I had a few pages saved for quick reference.
Corid drench instructions linked below. You still want the water to be mixed Corid too.
The drench is just to get a "jumpstart" but all fluids the bird consumes should be the mixed Corid for the full 5-7 days.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/corid-amprolium-oral-drench-instructions.74391/

I would push fluids.
Give her some coconut oil and if the crop is impacted, then I would try 1 stool softener along with the coconut oil.
You can also try a flush to see if that helps. @azygous has a great article that I'll link below. Flush consists of 1 teaspoon Molasses mixed with 1/4 cup of water. Have her drink it all.
Molasses acts as a laxative. Not sure what she's got in there sort of hard going back and forth between this new thread and the old one https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...reating-for-lice.1497838/page-4#post-25024762

If you are going to treat with Corid, then you wouldn't want to give her any extra vitamins that contain B1 (Thiamine).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Oh no, why not any extra vitamins when treating with Corid? Will it hurt her? I wasn’t sure so I’ve still been offering her the nutridrench water because I was worried she would go downhill quicker without nutrients. Did I make it worse? :(

Thank you.
I don’t think there’s anything else I can do at this point other than comfort measures. I’m worried she’s suffering. She keeps doing this head twisting thing and her body is tensing up, as if she’s having a seizure. Ive heard this referred to as “death throes.” But she’s still breathing. It’s 5am here, I don’t know what to do other than hold her. I don’t want her to suffer. :hit

Last edited:
Update: nothing has changed. She is still doing the death throes…our vet is opening soon so I’m trying to get ahold of them to euthanize her. I can’t watch her suffer like this.

Oh no, why not any extra vitamins when treating with Corid? Will it hurt her? I wasn’t sure so I’ve still been offering her the nutridrench water because I was worried she would go downhill quicker without nutrients. Did I make it worse? :(
I'm so sorry she's not doing well:(
It's very sad when one has reproductive issues and all these other symptoms compound the problem.

Corid is essentially a synthetic Thiamine blocker which helps starve out/reduce the number of Coccidia. Adding/giving extra Thiamine other than what's found in their food, could possibly contradict Corid.

Update: nothing has changed. She is still doing the death throes…our vet is opening soon so I’m trying to get ahold of them to euthanize her. I can’t watch her suffer like this.
Sorry to hear that. It's the unfortunate part of keeping animals, but it'll be better to get her in and put an end to her suffering.

Update: She’s gone. I brought her to the vet and had her euthanized. :( I feel terrible…she was such a sweet, spunky hen with so much personality. She was only just over a couple years old too. I’m just relieved she’s not suffering anymore.
Thank you for all your help.

Update: She’s gone. I brought her to the vet and had her euthanized. :( I feel terrible…she was such a sweet, spunky hen with so much personality. She was only just over a couple years old too. I’m just relieved she’s not suffering anymore.
Thank you for all your help.
I'm so sorry for your loss. You've done so much more for her than many of us would be able to do for our chickens. You gave her the best life she could have had, and I am quite sure chickens can understand when we are trying to help. I know how heartbroken you must be feeling.

Back
Top Bottom