Giant Broad Breasted Turkeys?????

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Red Tie, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Red Tie

Red Tie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Metamora, MI
    Hello everyone,

Yesterday we processed our BB Turkeys. They were going to be 20 weeks old on Tuesday.

There were six total birds. Here is the thing I am having trouble "digesting" (pardon the pun), the four tom's live weight's were all over 50 lbs...............

Yes, FIFTY POUND BIRDS. The biggest was 58 lbs.

SO, my customers now have Thanksgiving birds that are so huge I'm not sure they can find pans big enough to put them in. The dressed weights are all over 40 lbs, one, the little guy, is 38. I will post some pictures later today. These birds were from Meyer. They were fed turkey starter for the first 8 weeks and then Purina Flockraiser after that.

This is my first batch of turkeys in a very long time. Is this normal weight gain or what? They sure do look lovely all cleaned and pretty on the counter, they just don't fit into any sinks or pans.......

Thank you for any advice on avoiding giants in the future!

Jane

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    We did some of our BBB's yesterday. They were giants! they are all dressing out over 40 lbs.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=107919

This is normal.

It is also a clue to how well cared for our birds are. They eat well, get good exercise and are living very healthy. My birds were 27 weeks old.

3. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    That's what Broad breasted turkeys do, eat and grow and eat and grow. You can process them sooner and they won't be a big or go with a heritage turkey they are smaller and have a much better taste. Plus a heritage turkey will self reproduce and if you keep some breeders you won't have to buy poults every year.

Steve in NC

4. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    We did bourbon reds last year. They were more like a jumbo sized regular chicken. I chose the BB's specifically for the wide, rounded, full bodied breast. I like a show piece turkey on the Thanksgiving table. The standards we have just for every day turkey dinner.

5. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Very interesting. I am so interested in getting turkeys this year, glad to see this post. Miss Prissy, I think your turkeys are wonderful, you did a great job!
    Becky

6. Red Tie

Red Tie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Metamora, MI
    I'm thinking of doing some Midget Whites for folks who just are freaking out about jumbo birds. I don't mind them, we feed alot of folks on the holiday. Do you think that this would be a good option for having a small bird or would it be just best to get a batch of BB later in the year and do them younger? I'm doing the math on 50 lb/20 week birds and am staggered by the growth rate.

I have also heard that the Midgets taste wonderful.

One more thing Miss Prissy, any suggestions for my customers (besides the brining) for cooking these giants? I usually do cheese cloth soaked in butter over the breast to help keep the basting material on the meat. My great Grandma taught me that one!

Jane

7. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I believe in the use of cheese cloth, too. I have 10 yards on hand at all times. Makes a perfect crisp skin on a bird. [​IMG]

8. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    I have never heard of Cheese cloth for cooking birds can ya all explain that one to me.

My sister is cooking the turkey this year (she insists) me and my kids are all bummed as she makes the driest bird in the world. She is older than me and won't listen at all [​IMG] what do you do.

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Those were some big birds! I had two bb bronzes that were about 40lbs live at 20 weeks when I butchered them. Were yours the bronze or white? Then again... mine did free range and spent some time growing up in the snow. Bet that took out some growth. LOL

10. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    We harvested a couple of broad breasted bronzes yesterday, too. [​IMG] They're in the beer-fridge in brine now. They were smaller - 25-30 pounds - but the Tom that went to someone else was at least 50 pounds before dressing out. He almost was too big to walk anymore.

I'll have to try the cheesecloth. I've never done that before. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by