giant but bald brahma chick?

Diveks

Songster
6 Years
Jul 14, 2017
Indonesia
hello everyone, so my brahma chick is 6 weeks old now, but her (not sure but hoping its a pullet) feathering is slower than even my 4 week old chicks. the bantam she hatched with is almost 100% fully feathered but i do know they feather rather quickly. Although this seems exessive and i have never had a chick that feathered this slow. The chick is growing well and is giant compared to the other chicks. here are the pics:
IMG_9811.jpg
IMG_9810.jpg

should i be worried? what can i do to make sure the feathers grow correctly or do i just leave her?

hello everyone, so my brahma chick is 6 weeks old now, but her (not sure but hoping its a pullet) feathering is slower than even my 4 week old chicks. the bantam she hatched with is almost 100% fully feathered but i do know they feather rather quickly. Although this seems exessive and i have never had a chick that feathered this slow. The chick is growing well and is giant compared to the other chicks. here are the pics:
View attachment 2847833View attachment 2847834
should i be worried? what can i do to make sure the feathers grow correctl
Brahmas could feather in drastically slower. As long as they are getting at least 18% protein in the feed and there isn't a mite issue (which this doesn't look like), I would not worry.

Brahmas could feather in drastically slower. As long as they are getting at least 18% protein in the feed and there isn't a mite issue (which this doesn't look like), I would not worry.
first time raising a brahma heard that abut them but never thought it was this drastic. So i should not switch the chick to a grower feed just yet then?

first time raising a brahma heard that abut them but never thought it was this drastic. So i should not switch the chick to a grower feed just yet then?
Chick feed and grower feed are basically the same thing. Just make sure they have at least 18% protein in both. Even my adults get grower and Flock raiser. Chickens should have a minimum of 18% protein in their feed and should have oyster shells on the SIDE in a SEPERATE container at all times once they start laying.

I feed 24% Starter/Grower feed made for both Game Birds, & Chicks to my chicks.

I raised Brahmas, & planning to get more. They all grow at their own rates, & a good amount of protein for any chick will help with feather growth.

Chick feed and grower feed are basically the same thing. Just make sure they have at least 18% protein in both. Even my adults get grower and Flock raiser. Chickens should have a minimum of 18% protein in their feed and should have oyster shells on the SIDE in a SEPERATE container at all times once they start laying.
Oh the grower is at 16% guess thats too low, the starter is at 19-22%, the only really high protein feeds are for meat birds here. I might look into some, or should i just stay on this one?
I feed 24% Starter/Grower feed made for both Game Birds, & Chicks to my chicks.

I raised Brahmas, & planning to get more. They all grow at their own rates, & a good amount of protein for any chick will help with feather growth.
For my adults i use the ones for the whole flock (forgot what it was called) and have some oyster shell in a bowl. I changed feeds to this new one and two batches of chick actually feathered out slower and i lost 3, two had digestive issues, and one never grew. Might look into getting the old feed.

Oh the grower is at 16% guess thats too low, the starter is at 19-22%, the only really high protein feeds are for meat birds here. I might look into some, or should i just stay on this one?

For my adults i use the ones for the whole flock (forgot what it was called) and have some oyster shell in a bowl. I changed feeds to this new one and two batches of chick actually feathered out slower and i lost 3, two had digestive issues, and one never grew. Might look into getting the old feed.
Switch to the starter.

Switch to the starter.
Im wanting to switch brands though, think some of my chicks/ducklings are dying from the feed as i had never lost half of the chicks i raised before i switched, they also are growing very slowly. Does the 21-23% sound good for growing out the feathers? These batch of chicks don’t look as strong as my older ones too.

Im wanting to switch brands though, think some of my chicks/ducklings are dying from the feed as i had never lost half of the chicks i raised before i switched, they also are growing very slowly. Does the 21-23% sound good for growing out the feathers? These batch of chicks don’t look as strong as my older ones too.
20% is good, no need to go too high. I have never had an issue switching brands.

Back
Top Bottom