Giant Cochin

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by posey, May 23, 2012.

1. posey

posey Songster

Jun 17, 2009
    Coastal NC
    Hi, I received a "mystery" chicken in a group that was supposed to be all pullets. Ya'll know how that goes, hee hee.

Anyway, from all of the available breeds that they carry the only one that I can figure out that this baby belongs to is the Cochins.
    They only carry two types, white and partridge. So I am guessing partridge.

Clearly the legs are heavily feathered and I can see feathers just beginning to grow out from other toes on the foot.

I have felt for 2 weeks that this was a roo and I am fairly certain that it is. He is 7 weeks old now. I have a white female that has a lot more feathers than this little guy and she doesn't have the wattles showing like him. So am I right, he is a cockerel, yes?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love giant cochins they are my favorites. I wish I could keep this little guy but I only can keep one roo and so this little one will have to go too.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I bet you're right. Too bad you can't keep him.

3. aoxa

aoxa Crowing

Oh my. .He hardly has any feathers at all for that age! I think he looks more bantam sized. [​IMG] This is my Standard Partridge Cochin Cockerel @ 8 weeks old. It's very shocking how many more feathers he has than yours! Either way, it's a boy. It's just strange that he has the feathering of a 3 week old.

4. posey

posey Songster

Jun 17, 2009
    Coastal NC
    OMGosh! You are right what a difference in the feathering! Your boy is gorgeous.
    My only roo is my avatar which is a birchin LF cochin. I didn't raise him so I don't have experience with LF babies. So you think my little guy is a bantam?

Your comment about mine looking more like a 3 week old got me thinking. I hatched out some babies under a broody and I just looked at my planner.
    You are correct this little guy will be 4 weeks old this Friday, so he was 3 weeks when I took the photo. Sorry! I just got the dates mixed up.

Mine is only 3 weeks, so now I know what to look for when he is 8 weeks old.
    Thank You, and sorry for the age mix up.
    Just too many chickens to keep up with but I consider that a good thing.
    Have a great day,
    Posey

5. aoxa

aoxa Crowing

Now that I know he was only 3 weeks old (glad I was almost spot on with the age lol) - he looks to be full sized. My boy thinks he's a duck. Any ideas on how to convince him to mate with my beautiful partridge cochin hen? :gig [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. posey

posey Songster

Jun 17, 2009
    Coastal NC
    Oh so cute! To me giant cochins are the most wonderful birds. And I am a sucker for roos.
    Of course I think the roos of most breeds are beautiful.
    If I was a hen, I would be a hussy cause I would be following the roos everywhere.

7. aoxa

aoxa Crowing

Oh yes! The bigger the better! He is only 20 weeks and outsizes my huge buff orpington hen. Since cochins are slow to mature, I can only imagine. The breeder had two roosters, and both stood almost to my waist in height. They were absolutely stunning. I wish the colours would show faster. He looks somewhat homely right now. The feathers on his feet are full and beautiful. I can't wait to see what he looks like mature :love

I agree with you.. there is something about roos.. I seem to look at them more than the girls. Their colours and mannerisms. I saw my big barred rock rooster feed a six week old chick last night. Nearly broke my heart with cuteness.

Oh and your avatar roo is stunning. What colour is he? Very nice!

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  8. aoxa

aoxa Crowing

[​IMG] @ 16 weeks.

9. Moodyblues7718

Moodyblues7718 In the Brooder

Aug 10, 2012
    Corbett, Oregon
    [​IMG]
    I Just got a Giant Cochin Rooster He's 6mths old I thought I'd share him..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: