Giant Cochins

Quote:
Well the blues and whites were supposibly from SQ stock.. I know just cause they are supposed to be SQ not all the offspring will be. The black was just out of some pet quality. I was not looking for 100% show quality but something my kids could use for 4H and possibly some breeding stock..
idunno.gif
Oh well

4H, that's a possibility, depending on how they judge it in their shows. If you were competing in an APA sanctioned show against breeders, then you would have an issue placing. They may be able to use these if it's for a local fair.

Now, your blues. The female is more akin to a Langshan than a Cochin. It's far too fluffy for a Langshan, but has more of a body type of a Langshan. She won't help your breeding program at all, but will lay well. Are your blues allowed outside? If so, they may be "burning" their feathers. For some reason, it's more noticeable in the blues. The blues will get a "copper" or "brown" lacing instead of the nice dark lacing. It's genetic as well, so if it's seen, try to breed away from it. That being said, there are some precautions you can take to help darken the lacing, although you should use the genetics instead of relying on supplements.

I have used BOSS to help maintain a nice sheen. The feed must have little corn in it. The exposure to sunlight is minimal. I realize not all of these are available due to the area or setup.

If you are serious about getting into Cochins, I highly suggest getting into contact with Bo. He will know of someone or will have birds himself. If not, I would not put any more money into your Cochin venture as for 4H, these birds will probably be fine. The white male though...that one needs to go...

Quote:
Yeah that white male is the one that is going lol. I have another white here that I am keeping.. I couldnt make up my mind on the two blue roos on what one shoould go or stay. Also no these guys have never been outside.. Our layers go out and they will beat the heck out of them and we were TRYING to raise them for the kids for local 4H shows lol

Quote:
I started getting rid of these guys today. Two went off to auction to become dinner one of the white boys and one of the blue boys. I know the others arent show quality and both the whites need to go. I want to replace them first
sad.png
. Who is Bo or does anyone else have decent to good eggs to try? I obviously have been ripped off in regards to the Standard Cochins hatching eggs. I think last year I had atleast 220 in eggs and that is my only living result. Not to happy I bought from atleast 5 or 6 different breeders on ebay. I only had live chicks out of 4 of them paid for shipping on both of the no hatches twice and 2nd was no hatch
sad.png
! I am not looking for totally perfect 100% show quality for generations. That at this moment I cant afford lol! Something that wont look like pooo tho would be good! Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Would someone please critique my standard cochins? They are summer 2011 pullets and a rooster. Mine are just for yard ornaments but I'd like your opinions anyway. They were just too fat and cute as chicks to pass them up. The rooster is one I got as an older cockerel.

I can't tell the pullets apart so here are photo's of 1 or both of them, lol.
01Nov2011220.jpg

01Nov2011213.jpg

TempAugust-Sept2011172.jpg

BigFoot20March2011_02.jpg

Back
Top Bottom