Giant egg

Wolfencharm

Hatching
Sep 20, 2020
Hi,

I've been raising chickens for 5 years, so still learning as new things come up. Recently moved from the city where I had 11 hens to the country and now keep 25 plus 2 roosters. Most of the new girls have just started laying in the last month. In the past couple weeks we've started collecting a brown egg that just gets bigger every time we get one (2 - 4 days apart). The last egg weighed 3.8 oz (in pic). It is much bigger than I thought chickens eggs could get and I'm just trying to figure out who it might be from and if it is normal. Our flock is very diverse in that we only have 1 of any certain type of chicken except a couple that we have 2 of. Its often difficult to tell who is laying what eggs, but I do know its not any of our older girls. This is definitely from one of the 5 1/2 month old hens. I can also rule out all the white egg layers, shades of blue and green, and really dark brown layers like my welsummer and marans. I think I'm down to a columbian wyandotte, blue laced red wyandotte, a dark brahma, 2 buff brahmas, and a lavender orpington. They're all big birds with the brahmas probably inching out the others by a touch. Does anyone have these birds and experienced eggs this large? Any special concerns I should have or just enjoy the bounty?

Attachments

• IMG_3779[1].JPG
    IMG_3779[1].JPG
    485 KB · Views: 16
I have a pullet that did get eggbound finally at age 6, the egg was 2x as large as a regular egg (large commercial size)

She has a history of bad egg sizes though. The last 3 days including eggbinding day are in the first picture (green is a regular sized egg)
20200920_172147.jpg

And then the eggbinding egg next to the green egg
20200920_172117.jpg

All I can suggest is keep an eye on her if she keeps laying large eggs

I had a triple yoker one time. That poor girl, I cringed when I saw it because it had to have hurt coming out. She was perfectly fine and it never happened again. I do still get occasional double yokers but no more triple.

One of my BA six month old pullets lays a double yolker every now and then. Just the one girl, and her eggs are always a few grams heavier than the other two, even when they're single yolks. They've only been laying for about 6 weeks, so every day is still eggs-citing. :)

It is much bigger than I thought chickens eggs could get and I'm just trying to figure out who it might be from and if it is normal.
Are they double yolkers?

Its often difficult to tell who is laying what eggs, but I do know its not any of our older girls.
Blue/green layers....Easter Eggers?
They don't always lay blue green can be brown or pink.
My biggest pullet eggs came from EE's.

Random note but today mine layed a normal egg! sometimes I think that just happens but she's back to laying regular sized so it could be something that happens just a few times.

Thanks all. And Aart, I just opened the 3 we have so far and all were double yokes. That's a lot in a row. I'll be curious if she keeps that up or settles out of it as she matures.

Back
Top Bottom