Giant eggs, young chickens

CrazyChickeyLady

In the Brooder
Sep 16, 2020
I've got pullets just starting to lay. I was prepared for small eggs and small abnormalities but lately there's one thats laying very large eggs. They don't even fit in a large egg carton spot. Im worried this is hurting her and wonder if this is something I'm causing or can help remedy. Im not sure who it is yet but by the color difference I'm thinking it's one of my isa brown's or possibly these golden colored girls I've taken in. There's no blood on the egg or poo so I don't think she's struggling but worried over time it'll be an issue for her.

I've got pullets just starting to lay. I was prepared for small eggs and small abnormalities but lately there's one thats laying very large eggs. They don't even fit in a large egg carton spot. Im worried this is hurting her and wonder if this is something I'm causing or can help remedy. Im not sure who it is yet but by the color difference I'm thinking it's one of my isa brown's or possibly these golden colored girls I've taken in. There's no blood on the egg or poo so I don't think she's struggling but worried over time it'll be an issue for her.
I have an EE that started laying huge eggs, & still does.

I have a Spitzhauben-Dominique cross that just started laying a couple of weeks ago. After about 8-10 small eggs (up to 1.5 ounce), she just laid an extra large today (2.2 ounce). Not sure if it will continue or go back to small ones for a little longer, but it's the size I would expect from her eventually.
(she doesn't seem distressed in any way)

One of my Leghorns and a Red sex link first eggs were jumbo. 2.6 oz double yolked. The Red sex link still lays giant eggs. And then my ridiculous silkie layed one that was .8 oz it had a wierd ripple too. Its pretty common for new layers to lay odd eggs. She will eventually lay a consistent size. Tasty omlets for you!

Both tiny eggs and jumbo eggs are normal at the beginning of a hen's laying cycle. After a while she'll settle into a mostly-consistent size.
Wow. Thanks for this comment. I was panicking over monster eggs.
*Update* TBH I thought you guys saying that chickens laid double yolkers meant only certain big breeds (Brahmas, Jersey Giants..). But y'all were telling the truth!! Of all the chickens I've ever had, none ever laid monster eggs, much less double yolkers - but today, one of the monster eggs was a double and it came from a regular Barred Rock (5mo 3 wks).
@3KillerBs TYSM for making this normal. I was worried she might turn herself inside out trying to unload the dinisaur eggos.

Attachments

• 20210814_092850.jpg
    20210814_092850.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210814_114858.jpg
    20210814_114858.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom