Giant hawk in the middle of the city.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by RichM, Sep 7, 2016.

1. RichM

RichM Just Hatched

Sep 7, 2016
    So I've been living in my city for 30 years, and never saw any kind of bird of prey. Then I get chickens, and several months later, I find a dead chicken and a giant hawk looming over our chicken pen. He killed our almost fully grown Buff Orpington. This happened in the middle of a city of 100,000 people. Zoom in to see this monster up close.

https://goo.gl/photos/fkgfYfCF452Du6qw5

So the moral of the story is that you do need to cover your chickens. We put a large piece (25x25) of aviary cloth over the pen to prevent this in the future, which has its own challenges, such as, how to keep the leaves from piling up on top and how to coax a chicken down who happens to get on top of it.

2. austrolover1

austrolover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2015
    Here in the country we have the same problem, and we also cover it with a type of netting. :)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  3. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    We live in a large urban with lots of trees, we have hawks and great horned owls. Which why I didn't hesitate to put a top on my run when I built it.

4. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Country living here. Hawks, hoot owls, foxes, raccoons, deer, coyote, see them all at least once a week. Keeping them under cover is good. Mine free range daily, so they have to protect themselves sometimes. And sometimes I lose one. Such is nature.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by