giant mealworms bad for quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by diggerduck, May 29, 2011.

1. diggerduck

diggerduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Marion, IL.
    I have been doing a lot of reading on different sites and it seems that "giant " mealworms are treated with a growth hormone to keep them from puapating.... If that is true, wouldn't they be a bad choice to give quail?? You are what you eat.

2. Dirk Chesterfield

Dirk Chesterfield Chillin' With My Peeps

I keep hearing conflicting stories about Giant Mealworms.
    I personally wouldn't feed them to my birds but that's my opinion.

I wouldn't risk anything that would keep my quail from pupating. [​IMG]

3. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Your birds are what they eat, so if something they eat has growth hormones in it, it will wind up in your birds. I'm not really a huge fan of feeding any meal worms to "coturnix", so my answer is YES. Giant meal worms could be bad for quail.
    P.S.
    If you are interested in starting a breeding colony of meal worms, then you should defiantly avoid the giant ones!

24-30% COMPLETE GBS will kick the living poop, out of a bucket of meal worms! If you can find that, then you are doing fine [​IMG]
    Save the meal worms for the gecko!

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    IF you can find it. I didn't realize how spoiled I was having access to 28% protein starter until I couldn't get it anymore. [​IMG]

5. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:I'm just one spoiled quail raiser my friend....30% protein GBS on a whim, and no folding, bending, spindling, or mutilating anything! No meal worms either.

I must be the luckiest person on the planet!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by