Giant turkey vs dog - and the turkey wins!

lengel

Songster
11 Years
Apr 30, 2008
MA
We had planned to butcher our three turkeys for Christmas but now I'm not so sure I can.

Mind you, I have a sort of dislike/hate relationship with our largest, most dominant turkey. In short, she's a witch. I watched her systematically reject our smallest turkey months ago and, when an owl broke into the enclosure, I wasn't surprised that it was the rejected turkey that was killed.

Today though might have been a turning point for me. I may actually respect Turkey Witch now.

Our neighbors have a ten month old Doberman/beagle mix (I know, right? How did that happen?). Anyway, they are very responsible but they were on the tail end of their Thanksgiving holiday and the elderly grandmother was taking care of the dog. I came home to find one turkey in the coop (two missing) and feathers everywhere. Then I heard frantic barking down in the field.

I ran down there with a leash and, sure enough, this very large, enthusiastic adolescent dog is confronting Turkey Witch in the field. I wish I could have taken a picture. There's this huge, beautiful white bird, puffed up to make her bigger than the dog who was dancing in front of her trying to get in another bite. Turkey Witch was bleeding from her wings but clearly protecting the other submissive turkey behind the dog, taking on the dog by herself.

I called the dog who came to me immediately and walked her home. Came right back to check the turkeys. Turkey Witch's wounds were from pulled out feathers. The other turkey wouldn't get up for a while but was all right otherwise. Just checked again on both of the turkeys who were attacked and they look good. They aren't bleeding any more and they don't seem to be in shock. In fact, they looked more defiant than anything when I checked in with the flashlight.

So. There's a good possibility that I have three more pets, or maybe watch-turkeys now. I'm not sure I could kill that kind of spirit.

Thats how we got a pet turkey as well. Our own dog went after Gobbles when he accidently flew into their yard. He went after those dogs and cowered them under the porch. All I heard was barking and then a loud gobble on the porch. Looked out the door and there was Gobbles struting across the porch. The dogs still bark at him but if he gets into their yard they run like h_ll.lol

I have 8 turkeys, 4 toms and 4 hens. The dog tells them they can't be on the porch, but they tell her she can't be in the whole backyard!
gig.gif

I agree! It would be a shame to eat her, now! LOL! Can you use her for breeding stock? That is, if she lets a tom get close to her without kicking his butt!
gig.gif
Is she aggressive towards the family? I don't have turkeys, yet, but I've heard horror stories. If she gets aggressive with ya'll, I would eat her. Otherwise...sounds like you've got a great watch bird!
clap.gif

Shelly

As my dh has always said " I love sassy girls.. They let EVERYONE know who is boss--right from the start!"....

It's a good thing he likes sassy girls he has had a house full of them! First the human girls and now the fur girls--next week it will be the feather girls!!!LOL

I agree "she has earned her keep"! Dixie

Back
Top Bottom