Gil’s world!- proper duck diet

I feed my ducks, peas, meal worms, raw peanuts, and salad greens for treats. They eat a waterfowl food made by Mazuri, and I mix in some Manna Pro gamebird showbird.
They forage all year and eat a lot of grass and bugs.. For Christmas and birthdays, I buy night crawlers and they go crazy for them!
My girl duck has access to oyster shell but she isnt eating it at all right now, she’s not laying at the moment.
Mine are pets, and it was hard to find a food that wasn’t geared towards slaughter. I don’t want them fat fast, just healthy.
Im always looking for more info on diet and nutrition, especially for pet ducks.

I feed my ducks, peas, meal worms, raw peanuts, and salad greens for treats. They eat a waterfowl food made by Mazuri, and I mix in some Manna Pro gamebird showbird.
They forage all year and eat a lot of grass and bugs.. For Christmas and birthdays, I buy night crawlers and they go crazy for them!
My girl duck has access to oyster shell but she isnt eating it at all right now, she’s not laying at the moment.
Mine are pets, and it was hard to find a food that wasn’t geared towards slaughter. I don’t want them fat fast, just healthy.
Im always looking for more info on diet and nutrition, especially for pet ducks.
Mazuri is a very good feed!

Just a separate thought - but Gil is an indoor duck who hasn't been exposed to a lot of outdoor stuff to build up immunity to things... You said you have wild ducks in the creek that Gil will be going to - so wondering if our med expert @casportpony recommends anything proactive for Gil b/f Spring...? I worry a lot about cross-contamination with the abandoned domestic ducks I try to rescue from the park - so I keep a separate pair of shoes in my car to switch out when we go visit them. Maybe overkill lol - but maybe just something to think about...

Just a separate thought - but Gil is an indoor duck who hasn't been exposed to a lot of outdoor stuff to build up immunity to things... You said you have wild ducks in the creek that Gil will be going to - so wondering if our med expert @casportpony recommends anything proactive for Gil b/f Spring...? I worry a lot about cross-contamination with the abandoned domestic ducks I try to rescue from the park - so I keep a separate pair of shoes in my car to switch out when we go visit them. Maybe overkill lol - but maybe just something to think about...
One can never be too careful when it comes to biosecurity!

Thanks for all the great info everyone! I will keep her oyster shell and grit separate so she can eat it as needed! I only started feeding oyster shell the day she reached 21 weeks in preparation for egg laying. She's not big on the cracked corn but it seems she'll eat it when she knows she needs to. Lettuce was never her favorite. I realized I was babying her too much and ripping it up too small. Once I gave her big pieces of lettuce, she went crazy for it! Happy to know I'm not messing up her body at all though!

Back
Top Bottom