Ginn Grey gamefowl info needed

bobbydoddsghost

Hatching
11 Years
Feb 19, 2008
I'm doing family research and found that my relative, Steve A. Ginn, of Royston, Ga. created a breed of gamefowl in the late 1800's-early 1900's called a Ginn Grey. I can find only a few references to this breed on the internet, but cannot find any detailed info or photos of this bird. Family history even tells the story that S.A. Ginn took one of these prized roosters to the White House to compete against one of Pres. McKinley's roosters.

Here's really all I know about the breed (copied from one site): GINN GREY: Originator, S. A. Ginn, Ga. Description: Light silver grey to white, red eyes, white and yellow legs, st. and pea comb, some Tassel.

Any help on this bird would be appreciated. I hope to get into raising a few chickens in the years to come and would like to have some birds with a family history.

Go to www.friendinsport.com, these american gamefowl men can fill ya in on all there is to know, and maybe even point ya in the right direction as to getting some of these birds to raise....the ones I seen were "tasseled" or "toppy" looking.....would be cool to get into raising some birds with personal family history like that...good luck...

C

I knew an older man that used to raise these birds. They were game to the core, and tiny. He had been breeding them for over thirty years, that was ten years ago, and they are all gone now. They looked somewhat like an OEGB, and I am sure when he got rid of them they were eventually crossed into old english birds and pretty much ruined. But they were very gritty.

Talked to Mr. Bond. He still raises Ginn Greys, and sells some from time to time. However, he did not have any photos to send. Until I have a chance to drive to Royston,I'm still hunting for photos if anyone has one to share of this breed.
Thanks.

Hi - I'm new to this forum. Just found your message from a search I did on S A Ginn. S A was my great grandfather. He not only had the 'greys' but many patterns and colors of games. I myself raised his strains of greys, reds and spangles for many years but haven't had any in about 10 years. They are still around and available although nowadays they are normally used to crossbreed and not fought pure. The modern strains are usually longer legged which gives them an advantage but there are none as hard hitting and 'game' as the ginns. Thus their value for breeding.
I've got a pic or two that I could post here if I knew how but will be glad to e-mail to you if you'll supply your address.
If you're serious about getting some birds, Paul Bond is probably your best bet but there are some others around who have them. I see Paul every week but haven't asked him lately if he has hatched any chicks this spring. Now and until fall will be the best time to find some. Donald Phillips, (706)245-6360, had some not too long ago but I don't know if he still does.

Good luck, Rodney

PS - Where do you live?

Kind of going threw the same thing my great uncle was Jock Wilson and he had the toppy greys. Can anyone tell me where to find any of these chickens?

Back
Top Bottom